Unable to link to Wells Fargo Advisors

Options
Ivan
Ivan Member
edited February 23 in Adding and Updating Accounts

I'm a new Simplifi user. I have successfully set up a dozen or so account, but when attempting to add a Wells Fargo Advisors account (actually multiple brokerage accounts associated with a single login), I receive the following message after providing my (confirmed) login credentials to the popup window:
—-
We are unable to complete your request at this time.

If your contact information is incorrect or not listed, use one of the following options to update your information and receive further assistance:

1. Update your information at any Wells Fargo ATM.Find an ATM near you.
  2. Contact Wells Fargo Customer Service
    • Call 1-800-956-4442. If you are calling from outside the United States, please use one of our toll-free international access codes.
    • Have your account information handy when you call. Examples may include your debit or credit card information.

If you're a guest user, please ask your administrator to contact us.
—-

I have spoken with Wells Fargo and they do not have any idea what is causing the issue to date. Does anyone have a solution for this or at least more information about the cause? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Ivan, thanks for reaching out!

Since Wells Fargo is one of our OAuth API banks (see here for more details), I'd suggest attempting to connect from a different browser or in incognito/private mode to see if doing so produces better results. It could be that something in your primary browser is blocking Wells Fargo's authorization process.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• Ivan
    Ivan Member
    Options

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I've already tested from multiple computers (home PC and work laptop), with multiple browsers on the same computer (Chrome and Edge), as well as from the iOS app all with exactly the same behavior. Any other suggestions?

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is just a wild guess, but are your actual investment accounts held at Wells Fargo? Does Wells Fargo Advisors maintain your investment accounts at another institution? If so you may need to figure out how to access your account info at the other institution.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Ivan
    Ivan Member
    Options

Thanks for the thought Danny, but my holding at Wells Fargo Advisors are all held there (there are no business or employer-related accounts involved). I do appreciate any other ideas you may have, however!

• Molanda
    Molanda Member
    Options

I have the exact same problem with a home mortgage account. I've contacted Wells Fargo and they were not very helpful.

I am able to login to the Wells Fargo website without any problem and still have the account connected to Mint.

The problem happens with both the website and the iOS app.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Ivan & @Molanda, have either of you tried the "Wells Fargo Bank" option by chance? We also just had a user post this:

Maybe give this a try as well. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10
    Options

My Wells Fargo Checking account disconnected today. I tried the fix outlined in the post above, resetting the connection, making the account manual, and then re-connecting.

Looks like the API is down, as I get this connection screen before going to the bank.

Before I went straight to Wells Fargo's site to connect.

Then, I got this

I deleted the connection to Quicken on Wells Fargo's site, still no luck.

For now, I will make the account manual and enter a balance adjustment to be deleted once the connection comes back.

Finally, the Wells Fargo site itself gave me an error when I was in it, maybe WellsFargo is having issues today.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Ivan
    Ivan Member
    edited January 10
    Options

Due to what appear to be issues with the API after today's release, I have not been able to confirm that I have resolved my issue, but I believe I found the cause for the error on the Wells Fargo side. While I have multi-factor authentication disabled on the Wells Fargo account, it appears as if Well Fargo was attempting to issue a MFA request when I logged in as part of the linking process. However, since my phone number of record at Wells Fargo is a Google Voice number, Wells Fargo didn't recognize that it could receive a text message and therefore it simply failed. After I updated my phone number to be a specific mobile number and tried again, I got through the Wells Fargo authentication prompts and landed on the expected screen to select the accounts to synchronize with Simplifi. Unfortunately, Simplifi has not properly synced those accounts so far, but given that accounts which were working yesterday are also not syncing today (e.g. Vanguard), I'm guessing it is due to other issues. I will try all of this again tomorrow and hopefully it will work as expected. I'll confirm once I've done that. Thanks again for the support.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am having issues with Wells Fargo bank and I use an RSA token. Looks like Wells Fargo's API had problems today.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Ivan
    Ivan Member
    Options

As of tonight, I appear to have everything configured and syncing properly. Once the transient sync issues resolved themselves (the ones which affected Vanguard as well as Wells Fargo), I was able to get balances for all of my accounts. I found that I was missing one of my accounts from Wells Fargo which was the result of me having used "Wells Fargo Bank" rather than "Wells Fargo Advisors" for the link which worked in the step above. Since I had selected Wells Fargo Bank, the account associated with my asset advisor was shared by Wells Fargo, but not imported by Simplifi. I only needed to break the link between Simplifi and Wells Fargo Bank and recreated it using Wells Fargo Advisors and everything imported as expected.

Thank you for the support to resolve this issue. I've worked in technology for 30 year and am quite impressed with the level of support provided by the Simplifi team. Thank you again.

• Cornelia
    Options

Hi, I am having the same connection issues as mentioned initially. I followed mydaytontexas guidance but was told immediately - by Wells Fargo - that I couldn't connect and to call the customer service line.

If anyone has another idea, please share.

• Cornelia
    Options

Just an add-on: I had also called WF and was told that I would never be able to connect my mortgage loan with Quicken. I explained that there had been no problem connecting the loan account to Mint. Still, they insisted on being right. Not very helpful at all.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Cornelia, I'd suggest giving my steps here a try:

Let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How's it going for everyone. My WF connection went wonky also yesterday. Today I was receiving more wonkiness but did a complete reset with WF and as of now all is well with Wells Fargo.

Not a WF Advisor user - banking only.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Molanda
    Molanda Member
    Options
  • Coach Natalie
    Options

@Molanda, thanks for giving those steps a try!

You mentioned having the account connected in Mint still; does Mint also use Wells Fargo's OAuth API to connect? If so, that may be where the problem lies, as OAuth API banks typically only generate one token to be used in one product, which can prevent you from connecting in a different product. Have you tried disconnecting in Mint and then adding the account in Quicken Simplifi? Also, what happens when you try to add "Wells Fargo Advisors" in Quicking Simplifi while using an incognito or private tab?

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.