Unable to add planned expense in a specific category

Options
kcorer
kcorer Member
edited February 14 in Troubleshooting

When I try to add planned expenses in the category I want it shows me a red exclamation mark (with no explanation as to why) and the create button is disabled - why is this?

Tagged:

Comments

• kcorer
    Options

This is in the spending plan "one-time-expense" section… I am trying to add multiple one time expenses that are coming up by month by category so that I can plan my monthly cash flow as I navigate a remodel!

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@kcorer ,

By chance, is this a category that you already have a - non-one time - recurring expense set up for? I just did a quick test and Simplifi wouldn't let me set up a one-time expense for a category that already had a recurring expense assigned to it…it gave me the same red error you have. However, Simplifi would let me set it up for a brand new category.

P.S. Thanks for including the screenshot. That helps!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What you could do instead is increase the planned amount for that category for this month, to account for the extra expense. Another approach would be to add it as an upcoming one-time bill. (If you're not sure exactly when and how much, you could put it in as a temporary, not cleared transaction, and then reduce its amount as you make actual transactions.) Another idea to separate this expense would be to add a new Expense category - it could be a subcategory of an existing one if you want. Then I think it'll let you add a separate Expense to the spending plan for it.

• kcorer
    Options

Ah I see the planned expense is by category not by item - okay I guess I can group them, or maybe make a one-time bill or something..

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes - if it's just one transaction, a one-time bill will probably be easiest. Then it'll show up on the Spending Plan in the Bills and Payments section.

This discussion has been closed.