My imported "Mint" transactions balance is not matching my Simplifi balance. Help please.

Options
Sheri
Sheri Member
edited February 26 in Getting Started

Following the instructions provided from this community, I created a "Mint" checking account and imported my checking transactions into Simplifi. For the past 2 weeks I have reviewed the transactions from the combined accounts and removed all duplicate entries (there were hundreds!). However, my "Mint" checking account is thousands of dollars lower than my balance in my actual checking account. I don't know how to reconcile the two accounts. Or do I delete the "Mint" checking account now? I think not because there are many earlier Mint transactions (2022-2020) I captured that Simplifi did not pull over from my checking account initially. I couldn't find instructions as to what to do after removing duplicate transactions. Help is appreciated!

Best Answer

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21 Answer ✓
    Options

Mint import instructions: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint

The process was upgraded after the community posted troubleshooting tips.

When I imported, I did not reconcile balances between the Mint imported account (which is a manual account) and the linked bank account. Because Mint did not provide reconciliation capabilities against the bank and I did not balance the Mint account like a checkbook, I know the ending balance in Mint was not accurate when adding all the transactions in the register.

I recommend instead checking the following items:

Income, total and by year

Expenses, total and by year

Net income (Income minus expenses), total and by year

Expense category groups like groceries, total and by year

I totaled the items in Excel to get the Mint numbers for the checks. If you still have Mint active, use the trends reports to generate the totals mentioned above.

I matched the Mint import to Simplifi to the penny on the items above. It took time to get done, but data imports to other platforms take time.

Then, enter a balance adjustment entry to bring down the balance of the Mint imported checking account to zero. Then your current net worth will be accurate.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

Answers

• Sheri
    Sheri Member
    Options

Thank you. I'll work on that suggestion.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you sort out your Mint import?

Minter 2014-2023

• Sheri
    Sheri Member
    Options

thank you for touching base with me. I downloaded all the .csv files for income, expense, net income for all the years I have data. I’ve completed reconciling the income between Mint and Simplifi. Starting on expenses. It’s a daunting task but I want to do it right. Any suggestions about expense reconciliation is appreciated.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What you are doing is good. I will reconcile only a total of expenses per year.

Optional - check expense totals by category group.

I forget if Mint provides a pie chart or bar chart per parent category group (example groceries). I used an Excel file I created with Mint data and pivot tables to match up imported data.

Minter 2014-2023

This discussion has been closed.