How am I tracking this month

Options
John Dressel
John Dressel Member
edited February 22 in Using the Spending Plan

I'm a former Mint user and used the spending to date graph to quickly see how I'm tracking that month. I'm trying to transition to get this status from Spending Plan but I need to drill into each area to get a sense for how I'm doing.

• Some bills go up and down each month (utilities) and the spending plan doesn't track what you thought you'd spend vs what you actually spent; it assumes bills are bills and you have to pay them so you start with 'income after bills & savings'; should I include only fixed expenses under 'bills'? Maybe I've answered my own question.
  • Planned spending - these are estimates and I would love to have a better indicator than the red exclamation point when I exceed plan in one category. This basic on/off switch doesn't give me a good indication of how I stand collectively. Maybe the total could show actual vs planned rather than just total planned. If I over spend in one category on day 2 of the month, then no matter how I do in other categories, I have the exclamation point for the entire month. Could the exclamation point be changed to something that shows red/yellow/green?
  • The donut graph in the left pane showing planned, other, and available, doesn't do anything for me. Yes, available tells me I'm under budget but a different graph that shows planned vs actual in the aggregate would be more meaningful.

Best Answers

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Point 1: I have a weekly visit with friends at a coffee shop, but my bill is always different. I have discovered that $12 a week is a pretty reasonable value, so that's what I have in the Spending Plan. Usually Q-Simplifi recognizes this transaction for what it is and makes the adjustment for that transaction accordingly.

Point 2: This use case is an excellent way to use Watchlists. You get a nice bar graph that shows actual vs target spending and how close you are getting to your limit.

Point 3: I'd suggest turning this into an Idea post.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

This discussion has been closed.