Budgeting views...

Options
BR HHI
BR HHI Member
edited February 27 in Using the Spending Plan

Am new to Simplifi and am struggling with the budget views - was used to mint where it was very easy to see both in detail and aggregated. When looking at Spending summary view page - it doesn't make sense/add up to me? On the left pane is has a Planned Spending button that shows the total amount budgeted, but doesn't seem to account for what was planned and what has been spent against planned? These budgeted expenses for me are more on the discretionary side, dining out, shopping, entertainment, and because they are planned (ie: budgeted) the summary aggregation page shows them as spent, impacting the available funds at the bottom, as well as making it difficult (without adding things up individually) to understand how I am pacing throughout the month overall on staying within my discretionary budget? Has anybody else run into this and/or have any suggestions?

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• BR HHI
    Options

Thanks UrsulaA - will give this a try as an alternative. Unfortunate though this can't be part of the Spending view? Seems it would make more sense to reside there.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't understand. Planned spending tracks your Spending in each planned category as you progress through the month. I plan to spend $200 on gasoline for the month. To date I have spent $102.75 based on my spending plan: planned spending.

The information is right there on the dashboard! I just don't get this idea that you can't track your Spending in a planned spending category in the Spending plan.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28
    Options

@DannyB - @BR HHI wants an actual versus used planned spending comparison for all categories summed together.

Also, @BR HHI the spending plan is meant to answer the following: how much do I have to spend this month after bills and planned expenses? The planned spending is already deducted from the available to spent at the beginning of the month as the funds are set aside.

I like seeing how much I have left per category in the dashboard like DannyB states. I also like seeing the total left across all planned spending, which I accomplished via the watchlist.

This post from SimplifiDev in Reddit explains the spending plan approach.

https://www.reddit.com/r/simplifimoney/s/ErvX3eSZUz

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

This discussion has been closed.