Net Worth Report: Add more granularity to the y-axis to better reflect small changes (edited)

Options
Jbenz
Jbenz Member
edited January 24 in Feature Requests

Currently the y-axis on the new worth graph is so set to such a large granularity that small changes don't even show up at all. It's basically just a horizontal line even though some significant changes have occurred. Please change the granularity so that these changes reflect on the graph.

13 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• BraedenSmith29
    Options

Same with the investment value graph. It would be better if it didn't show all the way down to zero.

• Mberg121
    Options

For me, the charts are fairly useless in their current format until users get a very long track record of data to reference.

Here's an example: If someone has a net worth of $1mil, the lower bound for the range on the Y-Axis goes all the way down to $0 while the upper bound is only marginally higher….why?

You can have a $50k increase in net worth over a couple months, and because the range is so wide, it basically just looks like a straight line. It's worthless to look at and really view day to day, week to week, or month to month changes.

There should be some kind of rule on all of these charts where the lower bound is somewhere 10%-20% below the lowest data point.

It is senseless to have it go all the way down to $0.

• Bread01
    Bread01 Member ✭✭
    Options

This is a lower priority fix to me, but I agree with the original poster. Having a virtually flat line for a graph is virtually useless. The Y-axis maximum should probably be pretty close to the highest net worth value for the time period displayed to show more variation beyond a straight line and not go all the way down to $0 (unless that's where the net worth has been in the time period displayed).

Simplifi User Since February 2024

Mint User Since 2011

User Type: Monitor Net Income and Grow Net Worth

• ryan_a
    ryan_a Member
    edited February 25
    Options

The Y axis always starts at $0 for certain time series line charts like Net Worth. This is inconvenient to view the change over e.g. a month. It can end up looking similar to a straight line.

It would be nice if the Y axis were variable dependent on the starting amount. So, it would shift for Date range = This month vs Date range = Last 6 months, depending on what the starting amount was, but I don't think that will be confusing for people to understand since it clearly shows the Y axis labels on the left. And this would give benefit of more easily seeing the difference from the starting value to the ending value.

[Merged Post]

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25
    Options

This request already exists. Check it out. More votes improve the chances for consideration.

[Merged Post]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Bread01
    Bread01 Member ✭✭
    Options

All 3 people with a $1 million net worth have already upvoted this. It is unlikely that this defect will get fixed.

Mint User Since 2011

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7
    Options

I upvoted this and I certainly do not have anything approaching a $1 million net worth.

But I certainly understand there are higher priority issues for the team to address right now.

And...this is not the definition of a defect. It's an enhancement request.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Bread01
    Bread01 Member ✭✭
    Options

I was just joking. I agree it’s not a high priority right now. However, I think it is a design defect for some users.

Mint User Since 2011

• Nathan815
    Nathan815 Member
    edited March 30
    Options

Please implement this. The balance graphs are not very useful in their current state. I miss the graphs in Mint which had this exact behavior of dynamically setting the Y-axis minimum based on the data in the current time period, rather than $0.

• mevans426
    mevans426 Member
    Options

It would be nice if there were a way to have the Net Worth report adjust the scale of the Y-axis. As it is it always starts at zero and goes somewhere above the highest value on the chart, making it hard to see any changes if the values are high since it just looks like a pretty flat line even with meaningful changes in the values. If instead the chart started the Y axis somewhere just below the lowest value and ended somewhere just above the highest value, the chart would have some utility.