How can I plan Weekly Shopping

Options
Jammo
Jammo Unconfirmed, Member
edited February 29 in Using the Spending Plan

I spend about $300 each week and pay for it using mastercard, visa or debit and spend in mulitple stores. What is the best way to plan the spend and allocate costs so I can track spend against budget of $300?

Its not a recurring bill and Spending has no weekly option. Other spending does not seem to make sense.

Thanks.

Best Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Jammo

This is exactly what Planned Spending is for. In the Spending Plan click on the Planned spending and then click on "Add expense".

• Select "Monthly expense"
    • Select the category - in this case your grocery category I suspect
    • Set your total for the month - in your case perhaps $1300 (4 1/3 X $300)
    • If you want a name for this Planned expense other than the spending category name enter that in the Expense name field
    • Click on Create

This will create a Planned Spending category that will capture all your grocery spending through the month no matter how you pay for it or what store you shop at as long as your grocery spending is assigned the category used for this Planned spending expense.

You can set up as many planned spending expenses as you desire to cover all your flexible expenses.

This support article will give you insight on how the Spending Plan is designed and works.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sounds like your best bet is to create a watch list for Entertainment, which you can see in real time whenever you need to and receive a notification when you are approaching a limit you done.

As for annual event, the Spending Plan is the best option for Q-Simplifi. It will guide you how much you should set aside each month to meet your annual goal and prompt you to make sure you're contributing to it monthly.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

Answers

• Jammo
    Jammo Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Thanks. Actually this was not a great example from me. But thanks.

A better example is for entertainment the budget $300 will include recurring bills e.g. netflix and spotify PLUS planned spend like movie night out PLUS other spending and all combine in the one budget. Where can I see total spend from all spend against the one budget of $300?

Also how would can I account for annual birthdays which so not accrue monthly and are not one off?

Many thanks.

This discussion has been closed.