Duplicate Income When Splitting Income into Income and Expenses (Reimbursements)

Options
PM009
PM009 Member

Ні,

I am trying to split income into income and expense reimbursement under expenses and getting a duplicate transaction.

Detailed: Let's say I spend $100 on a reimbursable expense for work and then I receive a paycheck for $4,100 (of which $4,000 is paycheck and $100 is reimbursement). In this scenario I would like to split the $4,100 into Personal Income and Planned/Other Spending category I have created "Work Expenses" so that if I run a search on "Work Expenses" the net should be $0. When I try to do this I have the paycheck value ($4,100 in this example) showing up as the full $4,100 in Income as well as the full $4,100 in Planned/Other Spending which effectively counts the $4,100 twice and the "available" value is completely skewed.

Not sure if there is an alternative way to do what I am trying to do, and ideally I would like to split into several categories as l have partial reimbursement for various expenses, some planned and some not on a regular basis which makes it difficult to identify true income vs income + fluctuating expenses. I am new to Simplifi and this was something I was able to achieve with another platform previously.

Thanks for any feedback!

Best Answer

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@PM009 Without knowing exactly where you're looking, I'd suggest that sometimes the app appears to show totals that it really isn't. For instance, if I run a Spending report filtered on Groceries, I get something like this

You'll notice that the total beside the graph does not equal the sum of the values in the Amount column. This is because some of my Amazon transactions included things for groceries as well as other categories. The amount line doesn't exclude the amount of the split that is not groceries, but the total line at the top does.

I believe this behavior exists in one or two other places, but I can't recall where right now.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

This discussion has been closed.