Home and Car Insurance paid with one check-split transaction

Options
Sheri
Sheri Member

We recently transferred from Mint to Simplifi.

We pay our home and car insurance monthly with one check. However, in the Spending Plan, it shows the car insurance as the total amount, with no home insurance amount. How do I set up the Spending Plan to categorize each amount correctly?

Best Answer

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Sheri

Welcome to Simplifi.

I would create a monthly recurring expense for the whole amount using the insurance company as the Payee. Then when you enter the payment in your account register, or when the check clears at your bank and is downloaded into Q-Simplifi, you can us the split feature in the transaction edit window to split the transaction appropriately between the two categories, i.e. 1st split, Amount: $[amount of auto portion], Category: Auto Insurance; @2nd split: Amount: $[amount of property portion], Category: House Insurance (or whatever categories you have set up for these expenses).

If you want to have both expenses show up separately in your recurring expenses I suppose you could write separate checks for home and auto portion of the payment and then when they show up in Simplifi match them appropriately to the two recurring expenses.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer

Answers

This discussion has been closed.