Net Worth Upload Successful

Options
UrsulaA
UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2 in Share your Success!

Thanks, Simplifi Team for making the Net Worth Upload functionality successful. I tried it out as a user and my comments are below. Hope the post helps someone troubleshoot if needed.

My evaluation of the feature

I like the following:

The import must be done by account. Reduces the probability of mistakes.

Can override incorrect history and re-import.

The feature does not interact with account transactions, balances are independent of transaction lists. Yay.

Correction: Wizard appears as follows:

When filtering by an account with incomplete history above the Net Worth Report.

When clicking the import button from an individual account.

Other:

Balances cannot be imported to closed accounts. This looks to be by design.

Format for the CSV must be as specified by the wizard. Dates should be entered as mm/dd/yyyy and numbers should be entered with no commas or $.

If an account is open but has a zero balance and no transactions: I found that the last non-zero net worth history number copied itself for future periods when I ended the CSV series in the import file prior to the most recent month end as Simplifi showed a zero balance (correct). This required me to enter zeros for dates prior to the date Simplifi started tracking the account.

Import only until the date the account started being tracked in Simplifi to avoid overriding connected balance data.

Improvement:

Wizard Instructions: I found that step 3 needs modification. It should state "Enter or paste your balances in the spreadsheet. Make sure [sentence below is correct]"

Delete the "Once imported to Simplifi, you can manually assign categories." paragraph.

Investment account historical balance import did not work for my IRA and brokerage account.

I used a workaround.

Step 1: I created two accounts to import history only: IRA Hist and Designated Ben Hist. Both are manual accounts saved as Other Asset Type. The names are abbreviations of my live investment accounts.

Step 2: I filtered the net worth report by an account with incomplete history and completed the import. It worked and all my net worth history since 2014 is in Simplifi now. It worked and all my net worth history since 2014 is in Simplifi now. 😊👍️🔥

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

Tagged:

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was able to correct a balance for an account that disconnected on 1/2/2024 by uploading net worth history for that specific date. Yay.

Minter 2014-2023

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If I didn't want/care so much about the individual account history and just wanted my total net worth history, could I use the workaround to create a single dummy account with data for every month prior to moving to Simplifi and then zero that account out and close it?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Wedo778 what you propose will work. Be sure to check the balances on the dummy account before closing it.

A closed account does not allow additional transactions or imports of balances.

Minter 2014-2023

• Rick_B
    Rick_B Member
    Options

Thanks. If I tried what @Wedo778 suggested, but accidently chose a date that duplicated some of my net worth history already in Simplifi, is there a way to remove that duplicate data? I added net worth history to the date I opened my Simplifi account, forgetting that Simplifi had data that went back a few months previous when I imported my Mint data.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5
    Options

Yes, you can re-do the import and override data. Also, if the dummy account is still open in Simplifi and has a zero balance as of today or dates when you have Simplifi history: import 0 as the amount and use dates through the day before the earliest date Simplifi has data.

Doing this avoids overstating net worth.

Minter 2014-2023

• Rick_B
    Rick_B Member
    Options

@UrsulaA Thank you! Yes, my dummy account is still open so should work. Thanks for the tip.

• Matt Anfang
    Matt Anfang Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 7
    Options

@UrsulaA Thanks for the tips! Yeah the template and instructions were NOT very good but your instructions were a huge help with the no comma and no $. The "download our template" link was messed up when I tried it.

• Matt Anfang
    Matt Anfang Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Why would the "Import" pop-up only show when I select last year? Sort of hidden and annoying

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Indeed annoying, they should just keep the import button on top of the net worth report. I found the import historical balances wizard also in the import dialog from the transactions list.

Minter 2014-2023

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7
    Options

The download the template link only worked for me in Google Chrome, not Microsoft Edge.

I posted about this too.

Minter 2014-2023

• ejs
    ejs Member ✭✭
    Options

Following up on @Wedo778 's question to import total net worth history into a single dummy account:

• Can we simply download a CSV from Mint for networth history pulled from multiple accounts within Mint, and then import that into a single dummy account in Simplifi?

Following up on @Rick_B 's question to avoid duplicating net worth history already in Simplifi:

• It appears that if I try to set a date range in Mint's net worth history feature to limit the history to pre-date what's already in Simplifi, Mint changes the history from month-by-month history to year-by-year history. So is the best option for importing the full monthly history to import "all history" from Mint into a dummy account, and then do a second import to override the duplicative data with 0 as the amount for the date range that is duplicative?

• ejs
    ejs Member ✭✭
    Options

Also, Mint won't seem to allow me to download net worth history for individual loan accounts. When I view my total net worth history in Mint, I see the debt from my old mortgage loans as liabilities deducting from total net worth, but if I select the individual mortgage loan accounts, Mint says there is no history available. Anyone else encountering this problem?

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes to the first, this is exactly what I did. Zeroed out the months where I had Simplifi data (which I think is your second question?) so that I didnt double anything. Just remember to reformat the column value types to fit Simplifi's preferred format (flat numbers not dollar signs)

• Matt Anfang
    Matt Anfang Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA or @Coach Natalie Is Simplifi going to allow the ability to import Net Worth over time using the investment accounts? The only want the I found still is creating the dummy account idea that @UrsulaA came up with. I appreciate it but it would have been easier to just link it with one of my current IRA accounts instead of creating the dummy.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20
    Options

The investment account net worth historical balance import is working properly for the web app. The mobile app display is pending a fix.

@Matt Anfang if you want to be added to the mobile app ticket, provide the info detailed on the discussion below.

Minter 2014-2023

• Kevin M
    Kevin M Member
    Options

I chose to use the account by account upload, since I have been on the platform for 3 months and did not want to wipe out my accounts. The JSON file seems like a nuclear option, but a good one if you were just starting TODAY.

The one issue I have right now is that the account by account upload doesn't seem to allow me to import historical loan balances. As a result, my net worth in past months/years is overstated, since I cannot import my mortgage loan balances.

I think Credit Card is possible, and it might be I can hack around this in some way by doing a manual account. Looking for suggestions on how best to deal with this.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26
    Options

The manual account will work for aggregate credit card historical balance import.

I was also able to import loan balances by using an other loan manual account. Could you try importing your mortgage loan history to an other loan manual account?

Finally, the net worth history is not displaying correctly in the mobile app for loan and investment accounts. A fix is in the works. Details are below.

Minter 2014-2023

• Kevin M
    Kevin M Member
    Options

Thank You. :).

• Matt Anfang
    Matt Anfang Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA do you know if the JSON import would double everything that I've already manually imported?

• danielkeisling
    danielkeisling Member
    Options

Pretty sure balances are overwritten of you upload over it.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have not used the JSON files, just the non Mint CSV. Each time I imported balances from the CSV, prior balances were overriden.

Minter 2014-2023

• Kevin M
    Kevin M Member
    Options

I was able to use the Quicken CSV template and a Manual Mortgage account to work around this and get the historical mortgage balances in there. Thanks for your suggestions, very helpful.

This discussion has been closed.