Custom Frequencies for Recurring Transactions: Share your feedback here!

Options
Coach Natalie
Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
edited February 23 in Feedback

We have completely revamped how Recurring Transaction Frequencies work in Quicken Simplifi, and we are hoping that the Custom Frequency options will meet all of our users' needs! We'd love to hear from all of our Early Access users on this enhancement, so please be sure to leave us your feedback by commenting below.

For more details on this enhancement, please see our announcement here:

*Please note that you will not see this feature on Android until version 4.18.0 has been approved by the Google Play Store.

We can't wait to hear from you!

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It looks like this is exactly what I was looking for.

I've tried it on about 6-8 different transactions:

1. My monthly income (SSDI) (Once a month on a certain day/week, exactly as pictured in your example video)
    2. Monthly (was automatic, now manual) transfers to savings (same day as above), though if it was automatic technically it would be 3rd wednesday PLUS one day which i'm not sure is realistic to do (I'm sure one day off it would match the transaction anyhow).
    3. NYTimes subscription (every 4 weeks for here and below)
    4. Credit Card payment for NYTimes subscription
    5. Newsday subscription
    6. Credit card payment for Newsday subscription

It looks like it's working properly (and is easy to use). I only set this up on the web app, I might try mobile to try it later.

Thank you! THANK YOU! I realize 6 transacitons a month may not seem like a lot to hand edit, but I love that I don't have to anymore.

I was genuinely under the impression this feature was lower priority due to the mint influx, but THANK YOU for getting it done.

The product overall is feeling much more professional lately.

As of yesterday, I'm living in a hotel for a month. I will try to make time (likely in the evenings) to visit these forums somewhat regularly.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am enjoying the custom frequency feature. I added my dental cleaning, which occurs every 4 months, as a bill. I could not add such bill with a recurring feature due to prior constraints. Works well!

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That reminds me, when I figure out when it is, i can probably set up my vehicle registration to be every 2 years.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reminder on this one. Mine is coming up this year, sometime in May.

Minter 2014-2023

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I tested this out with my bill for the hairdresser, which occurs every 6 weeks. I'm seeing an issue with scheduling.

Here's what my preview looks like in the Edit Series dialog:

And here's what February's Spending Plan looks like

So far so good. But in March the preview says I should expect a hair cut on Mar 27, but the Spending Plan shows this:

No hair cut scheduled at all. April should not have a hair cut, but it does:

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good catch, @ajbopp — I hadn't checked the spending plan. Hope one of the Coaches gets that reported.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I decided to double check mine, and for my every 4 week transactions, for example Feb.. 14 and Mar. 13, the reminders appear to be correct, and additionally the spending plan has those dates for the reminders.

Rob Wilkens

• michfromflorida
    Options

This is exactly what is needed to accurately schedule social security payments. Thank you so much for listening and implementing!

• Jeannette
    Jeannette Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My changes to an existing recurring transaction won't save. I'm not sure if it is related to this change but every time I go to edit series and change anything as simple as the $ amount and click Update, the change is not saved.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the feedback thus far!

@ajbopp, @Jeannette, and anyone else who runs into problems when using this new feature, please go ahead and contact our Support Team directly for more advanced troubleshooting, and so they can log the issue if it's unable to be resolved.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

-Coach Natalie

• gildrush
    gildrush Member ✭✭
    Options

Very happy this was implemented. Glad to see things can change. 😀

• Coach Marcus
    Coach Marcus Moderator admin
    Options

@ajbopp reported an issue: "I tested this out with my bill for the hairdresser, which occurs every 6 weeks. I'm seeing an issue with scheduling."

Hi @ajbopp, I've tried to reproduce this issue but it's working for me. Can you tell me more info regarding how you created it?

1) Did you create on the web or mobile? I assume web which is what I used but I want to double-check.

2) What browser are you using and what computer? I'm using Simplifi running as a Chrome App on a Mac.

3) Is there anything special about the recurring transaction you created? For example, did you use Exclude from Reports or anything like that?

I n my account, I'm seeing a March 27th transaction so we need to narrow down what is causing your March 27th to not appear in your Spending Plan so we can fix the issue. Any details you have would be helpful. Thanks.

• Coach Marcus
    Coach Marcus Moderator admin
    Options

Jeannette, Are you using web, iPhone, or Android? Does this still always fail for you? This could be related to our changes so I'd like to figure out what is causing the issue. Can you tell me more details regarding the transaction you're trying to edit?

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I like the new custom recurring options as well and have fixed several of mine. It doesn't work for my monthly paycheck. Here's why.

We get paid on the last day of the month unless it is a weekend, then we get paid on the previous Friday. So I just left it as the last day of the month.

To fix this would require an exception to the rule based on day of the week. It would have to be something like last day of the month but never on a Saturday or Sunday. I doubt it is worth the bother unless there are a lot of people who have this scenario.

It did fix my recurring Social Security payment. Thanks!

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SRC54 my parents' state pension works like that as well.

Rob Wilkens

• saritsi
    Options

I love the recurring feature and so far its been awesome. One thing that I would like to know is there a way to link multiple transactions to a recurring event in one go? Sometimes when i create a new recurring event, there are lots of transactions that waiting to be linked. However, I need to open each transaction and link it. Not a big deal for me though. Other than this, alls awesome. Thank you.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with this idea and found an open feature request for it.

I have multiple recurring transactions that I need to link to bills too. I have not completed this task due to the lack of bulk assigning to recurring bill or subscription.

Minter 2014-2023

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Custom Frequencies are now live for everyone!

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23
    Options

Hi @Coach Marcus

Sorry for some reason I never saw your reply before now.

I use DuckDuckGo browser on Android 13 with Samsung DeX, and yes, that is what I used to create this.

I haven't got time to fiddle with test scenarios at the moment, but I wonder if a difference between your test and mine is that I was modifying an existing series from before this functionality was implemented, rather than creating a new one from scratch?

Just a thought. I'll research this when I get a chance.

Anthony Bopp

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SRC54 the issue you reported with a paycheck on the last day of the month will happen for any once-a-month paycheck that occurs on a specific day of the month.

For example, my SSA check comes on the second Wednesday, so no issues there. But the check from my retirement account comes on the 24th, except, as in your case, the 24th comes on a weekend - in which case I get it on Friday.

I don't think it's a very big deal either. Doesn't throw the spending plan out of whack or anything.

Anthony Bopp

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23
    Options

@Coach Marcus

I lied. I interrupted my personal program schedule to bring you this special announcement.

I was unable to reproduce the behavior I originally saw, either by creating a new recurring series, editing an existing recurring series, or editing a new recurring series.

Whatever happened to me last time seems to be taken care of.

However, the series that I originally noted (my hairdresser) still has the same problem I originally mentioned. I haven't corrected anything yet in case it would be helpful to look at the data.

Anthony Bopp

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23
    Options

Maybe a small thing, but it confused me at first.

I edited a recurring series that I'd created last summer, and when I previewed the next recurring it started the list from when I created the series last year, making most of the preview irrelevant. It appears that this list is a finite number of occurrences long, so it's possible that this functionality would not show future dates at all if it had enough history already gathered.

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    edited February 27
    Options

@ajbopp, what's the 'Start Date' in the Frequency & Occurrence tab? I just edited one of my longstanding Recurring Series and the next occurrences are previewed correctly. But it automatically used a Start Date of the next occurrence in the Series, which is next month, so I'm wondering if these two aspects are related.

-Coach Natalie

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie I have been unable to reproduce the issue. There must have been something unique with that particular spending plan item to make it show up that way. None of my other "old" spending plan items turn out to be having this problem. And since I've fixed the original problem I can't reproduce it anymore.

Anthony Bopp