Fidelity: 2 transactions become one?

Options
michfromflorida
michfromflorida Member ✭✭

On Feb 15, two events occurred in my Fidelity Checking Account:

A $228.41 credit card payment from the account and a $1,300 deposit into the account.

The transaction downloaded to Simplifi was a $1,071.59 debit. Note that there were already separate transactions for both of these events that were correct.

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is very strange. I'm a fellow user and this may need some official trouble shooting to figure out, but here are some thoughts on what I would look at:

• I notice that there seems to be two different accounts involved here: Fidelity and JP Morgan.
      • Since you mention the checking account is at Fidelity what is the account at JP Morgan.
      • Did the deposit come from a JP Morgan account as a transfer into your Fidelity checking account?
    • I'd check the Fidelity account to see if this is an entry in my actual bank account.
    • I'd check the JP Morgan account to see if this is an entry in my actual account.
    • These two checks are because Simplifi account registers include only actually downloaded data from the bank/financial institution and thus to see the entry you are seeing I would want to make sure it's not something coming from the bank.
    • If the transaction is in Simplifi ONLY and not found in either of your actual bank accounts, it may be as simple as simply delete this transaction.
    • However, it would be more satisfying to figure out how these two transactions apparently became merged into a separate third transaction.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • michfromflorida
    Options

Hey Danny, thanks for your response.

• Yes, two institutions JP Morgan Chase and Fidelity.

• Chase is the credit card payment (also happens to be a Chase credit card but I don't think that's relevant here); the deposit came from Chase and sent to Fidelity. Both transactions occurred on the same day.

• There is no 1071.59 transaction in either account. I made the leap that it was a combined transaction since the math worked.

I have deleted the 1071.59 transaction from Simplifi. Downloaded data from Fidelity is so often wrong it's almost not usable. I find myself logging into Fidelity daily and comparing with Simplifi and removing the duplicate and strange transactions, this being the worst yet.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You might want to contact Simplifi support directly to trouble shoot this further, especially since it sounds like something strange is going on with your data downloads.

I usually think of Fidelity as an investment house more than as a bank with consumer checking accounts. Is it safe to assume that the money coming in from JP Morgan Chase is from an investment account of some kind? I'm wondering this because the category in your screenshot is "Transfer".

• Is the original deposit from JP Morgan Chase categorized as a transfer in your Fidelity checking account?
    • How are the various accounts involved in this "transaction" classified in Simplifi?
      • JP Morgan Chase account classified as one of the Investment types (Brokerage, Retirement, Other)?
      • Fidelity account classified as one of the Banking types (Cash & Checking, Credit, Savings, etc)?

Transactions between accounts connected to Simplifi are treated, typically, as transfers and it's important to make sure the actual accounts are properly designated and the visibility of these transfer transactions are defined properly. The orphaned hybrid transaction may be somehow related to this handling of transfers in Simplifi - this is just "guessing" on my part.

Danny
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Danny
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your issue sounds related to the discussion below 👇

Looks like the cash balance change, referred to as redemption from core in the discussion below, was downloaded to your Simplifi Fidelity account. Did you get the other two transactions you mention above? Have you opened a support ticket with Simplifi and Fidelity?

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

This discussion has been closed.