extra credit card payments

Options
John Dressel
John Dressel Member

When I pay my credit card bill once in the month everything works as expected (two transfer transactions), but when I make extra payments, Simplifi gets confused - it identifies it against the wrong checking account. If I try to correct it, I get a warning that the corresponding transaction in the correct checking account can't be found. Also, if this transaction represents my normal payment, then I lose the planned credit card payment that needs to happen later in the month. How should I be handling extra CC payments?

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you let the transactions download or manually enter them? Both "should" work. In my experience, the whole benefit of the mobile app is no matter where i am i can enter a transaction right away, and not wait for them to download .. with the benefit that i know i set the category (such as transfer) and notes (before i forget them). I just leave downloaded transactions for when i forgot to enter a transaction.

Rob Wilkens

• John Dressel
    Options

The transactions downloaded automatically.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I only have one checking account, so I can't speak to that issue (I assume both checking accounts are with the same bank). I'd be interested to know if any other transactions are associated with the incorrect account, or just these transfers to your CC.

I would imagine, but don't know, that if you make the additional payment after the planned payment, then it won't represent the planned payment.

The warning about not finding a corresponding transaction in the correct checking account is probably expected. You will get than anytime you create or edit one side of a transfer where the other side has no record. What I would expect should happen in this scenario is that the correct checking account will get the transaction added to it, and the incorrect checking account will have the transaction deleted from it.

Are you seeing other behavior in this case?

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• John Dressel
    Options

My wife and I each have a checking account. The checking account that I use to pay the credit card bill varies depending on their balances. I suspect that because you must specify the paying account when setting up a recurring bill, Simplifi doesn't know how to handle when I pay from a different account. If the cc bill is high that month, I will often make an early payment from one account and then the balance from the other.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe even if you pay from a different account, you can MANUALLY link the transaction to the same recurring reminder.

Another option might be to set up different recurring reminders from each account, then delete the one you don't use for that particular month.

Personally, I pay off my credit card charges the same day I make the charges, so recurring reminders are "mostly useless" for that except for "known every month/year" kind of charges (in which case it's useful for cash flow picture). Incidentally, you still get the credit card rewards if you pay it off same-day.

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.