Cash flow line is very out of date

Options
mahka42
mahka42 Member
edited April 5 in Troubleshooting

The cashflow line for my primary working account is never accurate and does not give me accurate historical information, which can make budgeting and projecting the month forward difficult. It regularly erroneously shows my past balance as negative. What is happening, and how does this get fixed?

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For me, it's accurate. There may be missing transactions in the past (or extra transactions). Past balances start with today's balance and goes back in time from there reversing transactions to get past balances. It really doesn't know past balances, it figures them out as i just described.

Rob Wilkens

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2
    Options

The Cash Flow report does not include Planned Spending or Savings Goal items.

Do you have income or expenses in Planned Spending?

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'll note you have an income transaction for today's date on your chart, is there a chance that wasn't linked to an actual transaction

Rob Wilkens

• mahka42
    mahka42 Member
    Options

Everything was linked correctly, and all previous cleared expenses and income were there and cleared with the bank. Moving forward, I have plenty of recurring/pending items, and it seems to capture those correctly.

I just refreshed everything again and it's finally in the positive for going backwards, but the line is pretty flat, even though I have some fairly large transactions towards the end of the month. But this issue happens to me every time, so I don't know how else to address it other that the starting point from the day I'm looking at it is accurate at least.

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @mahka42,

What kind of account is your primary working account (checking, savings, investment, etc)? Is this issue happening in the web app, the mobile app, or both? What seems to trigger it (for example, is it wrong when you first login)? Do you have any older recurring reminders that may not have been linked to the transaction when they were paid? Are you getting any duplicate transactions in that account?

It sounds like you're already familiar with how Projected Cash Flow works, but to review information about the feature, click this link.

I look forward to your response!

-Coach Kristina

• mahka42
    mahka42 Member
    Options

Hi @Coach Kristina - the primary working account is a checking account, and it happens primarily on the web app. I don't notice it in the mobile app as much, but I generally don't do a lot of projection in the mobile app. It tends to occur when the accounts are refreshed, and it will stay that way for several hours or even days, even if multiple refreshes occur. No duplicates, no old reminders.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5
    Options

Hi @mahka42

"I just refreshed everything again and it's finally in the positive for going backwards, but the line is pretty flat, even though I have some fairly large transactions towards the end of the month."

How is your Projected Cash Flow graph today?

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the Projected Cash Flow graph for my accounts, but with your inquiry, I took a look at the PCF for my main checking account just now. I'm thinking the solid line to the left of today is my actual account balance as reported by my bank and everything to the right of the today line is projection based on all the stuff mentioned in the Using Projected Cash Flow @Coach Kristina linked to.

To check "my thinking" (aka assumption), I logged into my account on my bank's site and did a comparison of what my bank reports as my balance and what Q-Simplifi reports as my balance on each date available in the PCF. Without doing some math the alignment isn't perfect:

• February 27-29 there is a 393.09 difference.
    • March 1-4 both balances are the same.
    • Today the balances differ by $100 due to a scheduled recurring transaction reminder that hasn't been processed by my bank yet.

So, my assumption seems sort of right, but without doing some math I can't explain why the discrepancy for Feb 27-29.

Not sure any of this helps with the original problem that seems to have self corrected, but it was a fun exercise to make the comparison and try to figure out the logic of the PCF for balances prior to today.

😎

• purple = Q-Simplifi
    • red = bank balance

Update: On closer examination:

• A certain transaction in this account is excluded in how I handle them in Q-Simplifi. I don't know if this excludes them on the CFP.
    • On the other hand, that certain transaction is a transfer that is recorded in my Q-Simplifi checking account register based on the date the transaction is received and cleared in the receiving account register. My bank shows the money leaving on a date several days earlier than the date that money is received and added to the receiving account. The amount of the transfer is the amount of the discrepancy.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.