American express keep asking for MFA code verification

Options
tvkloves
tvkloves Unconfirmed, Member
edited April 5 in Troubleshooting

Hello, I recently joined Simplifi and added my Amex account with savings and credit. From then whenever I launch the app, I am getting pop-up to verify the MFA code for the Amex account. even after I do verify again it shows the same popup when I re-login the app. Is there a known issue with this bank?

TIA

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't have an AMEX, but I can speculate based on my understanding of how QS works:

1. Not all banks support OAUTH (that's where you verify the account on the banks website as opposed to in a simplifi prompt)
    2. Not all banks that support OAUTH have OAUTH support in Simplifi
    3. It seems the banks without OAUTH support (and OAUTH is "relatively new" in simplifi) rely on the banks decision to ask for MFA or not. Some banks will ask every time, some won't. If and when OAUTH is supported, these problems tend to go away.

AMEX is a big bank, I suspect they support it, but probably no support on QS yet

Rob Wilkens

• tvkloves
    Options

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. When I checked with Amex, they said that if the authentication from a third party was to enter credentials within the 3rd party website, they mostly block or ask for MFA every time they try to make the connection. But if the credentials are provided on the bank website, a pop-up similar to Bank of America, it won't ask for OAUTH multiple times. Do you think Simplifi is going to implement similar to other banks?

Thanks

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I think they will, but I don't work for Quicken/Simplifi. I'm just another user like you. I do know some users (newer users?) were given "different" bank options than pre-existing users. I do not know the status of that. I believe those users were offered a FinCity connector rather than a Intuit connector. It's possible one or the other of those works better with AMEX.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I found a Quicken Simplifi support article, which lists Amex as Oauth API supported. Can you try any of the options listed as applicable? It could help. I am another user as well, not affiliated with Quicken.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6997452-new-and-improved-way-to-connect-to-your-financial-institution-oauth-api

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• tvkloves
    Options

I tried all the possibilities mentioned in that document. Still, I am seeing the reauthentication every time I launch the app. Also in the document, it says for HYSA I need to use American Express Bank FSB, but when I use that I am getting the error that I need to reenter the credentials.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @tvkloves,

Yes, per the article you will want to use the American Express Bank FSB for High Yield Savings Accounts. Just so we can be on the same page, can you let us know what specific error you receive when using that instance? This will help determine what the next steps are for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• tvkloves
    Options

Hello @Coach Jon, this is the error I am getting. I even entered the password manually and still got the same error

To connect to American Express Bank FSB, you must re-enter your credentials. If that does not work, try entering them on the website at American Express Bank FSB to ensure they are correct.
    Care Code: FDP-103

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

@tvkloves,

Thank you for that information. Can you let me know if the account is already connected in Quicken Simplifi currently? In regard to the Oauth API connection, Savings accounts are not currently integrated with this connection, and as such users will receive persistent MFA until American Express decides to migrate the savings accounts to the API. Unfortunately, we have no control over that process.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• tvkloves
    Options

@Coach Jon, I have already linked my accounts using the American Express Bank - Banking link, and that's where I get MFA every time I launch the app. I will continue with this until the site is updated with the API.

Thanks for your input

This discussion has been closed.