CreditKarma vs Simplifi no contest

Options
N4KHQ
N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭✭
edited April 5 in Share your Success!

I just Move my Mint transaction to CreditKarma. It only took me 7 days and 5 hours on the phone or chat. I have 6 credit cards. 4 of the cards transferred with me giving login information but apple card did not transfer nor did the GM card. One of my 4 Valic investments transferred. The Mint add on to CreditKarma appears to have very few of the Mint features. In my opinion It is totally worthless as a financial app because of the limited control and features.

Mint keep giving me a dead line to transfer but when I tried CreditKarma keep saying my information did not match the credit bureau and I should call TransUnion. TransUnion checked my data and said it did match and CreditKarma said call TransUnion. I told both parties I had a credit freeze on the credit bureaus but they said it should not matter. I found a note on CreditKarma page to remove freezes. I logged into Equifax, and Experian and removed the freeze for 3 days. TransUnion the credit bureau CreditKarma is using had my account messed up to the point I had to call to get the freeze removed. Finally got logged into CreditKarma and the transfer was automatic.

If you are like me and get a letter about free credit monitoring because someone lost your personal information once a month, I think it is better to freeze your information on Equifax, Experian and TransUnion than to have someone send you an email that someone from China just took a out a credit card in your name.

Comments

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4
    Options

@N4KHQ agree 100%. My credit is frozen with the 3 bureaus as well and I was able to connect to Simplifi's credit score service with no issue.

I did not even bother moving my Mint data to Credit Karma. I moved to Simplifi and stayed, after trying other apps before it. When I was satisfied with Simplifi's functionality and fit, I deleted my Mint data.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. A few years ago, i dealt with i.d. theft.
    2. Someone opened a ton of checking/debit cards in my name, and filed for unemployment with direct deposit to a t.d. bank account (*not mine).
    3. I froze credit, but found it frustrating when i did want to open accounts.
    4. Ultimately, i decided I'm not liable for fraud commited by others, and would leave it up to the banks to defend themselves. I removed the freeze.

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @N4KHQ Welcome to Quicken Simplifi. I hope you find it to be a good fit, I know I have, though I've been a user for just over 2 years moving over from Quicken Classic.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RobWilk It is pretty easy to freeze and un-freeze now but I remember the bad days. All there bureaus have Freeze pages now. Book mark the pages and you can unfreeze and set a date to refreeze with just a few clicks.

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA You should have gave CreditKarma a look see. It would make you appreciate Simplifi even more. There are no custom categories and if you want to change a category you have to edit one by one and select from a fixed list.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5
    Options

I read about other pitfalls of Credit Karma on Reddit. No ability to export transactions to CSV, no budgets, no manual loans, and no saved reports. Credit Karma initially migrated only 3 years of transaction history for Mint users and all net worth history. Credit Karma now migrates Mint's complete history of transactions for linked accounts and net worth history. Manual accounts are excluded from any data migration, including the cash account that some new Simplifi/Former Mint users miss. I read about how Credit Karma will work and thought it was not for me as a Mint replacement.

Does Credit Karma let the users split transactions?

I am still using Credit Karma to track credit as it has a complete credit report for both Transunion and Equifax.

Minter 2014-2023

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA The only reason I spent parts of 7 day to make the move was to see if Apple Card transferred. I did not think it would and it did not come over.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Understood. Hope Simplifi connects to Apple Card too. I do not use the card, but a lot of people do so.

Minter 2014-2023

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have no idea what this will mean for Quicken Simplifi, but it appears Apple is letting more third party personal financial apps to have access to Apple Card or at least Cash.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minter 2014-2023

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @DannyB and @UrsulaA for the Apple Card update. Very interesting but Can't figure why it does not seem to be available for Web apps. Sort of blows my theory of Apple waiting for a replacement banker. Wish Apple would give updates.

This discussion has been closed.