Split transactions from Mint have imported duplicates

Options
Aranel
Aranel Member
edited April 11 in Getting Started

I've noticed that a number of the transactions which I had previously split in Mint are importing incorrectly in a way that creates duplicates which are difficult to detect.

For example, if I had split a $25 transaction which originally was categorized as "Shopping", and I split it into, say, $15 groceries and $10 home supplies, then what I get imported is:
$25 shopping
$15 groceries
$10 home supplies

So it looks like I spent $50! But note that all of the amounts are different.

Is there some way to fix this other than laboriously going through every single transaction categorized as "Shopping" and adding up all the other transactions for that day to see if they match? I can't just assume that everything in Shopping is a duplicate, because sometimes I missed splitting a transaction. At this point I have to assume this problem goes back through my entire Mint history, which for sure has hundreds of split transactions.

Edit: It may not be the import that did this, it may be pulling these transactions from the now-connected bank account and not finding matches from the Mint import. Either way, I have the duplicates now.

Comments

• Aranel
    Aranel Member
    Options

Okay, I happened to notice a pattern which helped me to find at least probably the majority of the problem transactions.

I happened to notice that the duplicates for purchases from Target had the payee as simply "Target", while the imported split transactions from Mint had some complicated string of characters after TARGET.COM or similar. My guess is that this is because Simplifi is interpreting that long string of gibberish more effectively than Mint and is giving the name in plain language. They also all had the category as simply "Shopping" (which is what Target orders always get categorized as by default).

So I was able to use filters to easily find all my Target purchases going back a couple of years. (Hey, I spend a lot of money at Target!)

The same thing worked for the relatively few Amazon purchases I had that were split. They had just "Amazon"and were categorized as just "Shopping".

I'm sure there are some split transactions I have missed from other miscellaneous payees, but for me this is like 99% of them, so it's good enough for now.

So, if anyone else has this problem, try filtering by payee name(s) and category.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Aranel,

Thanks for reaching out! We would suggest following Step 6 under "Troubleshooting Mint Import Issues" in this article: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint#h_bde66f1ed0

Thanks,

Coach Jon

This discussion has been closed.