Terms of Disengage-MINT

Options
ajbopp
ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
edited April 12 in The Water Cooler

A lot of frustration and anxiety has been expressed on the forums so far this year because Intuit, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to shut down the oldest personal financial planning software on the market, at least in terms of web-based solutions.

It's made worse for these users in that Mint was fully ad-supported, and as far as I can tell virtually every other product requires a subscription. Thousands and thousands of Mint users are understandably upset about this, and are frustrated that the features they enjoyed in Mint don't seem to be available elsewhere. So we see of a lot of "Mint did this and it was free, why should I pay for a product that doesn't even do this much?"

Of course, Mint was started in 2009 - earlier than that even, but that's when it was taken over by Intuit. Quicken Simplifi has been around for just 4 years and most other products less than that.

Mint had the market pretty well cornered, so why give it up?

Well, because it wasn't very profitable. Not that it didn't make money (I don't know if it did or not), but it didn't make enough money to make the continued investment in it worthwhile. Intuit ditched Quicken, for heavens sake, because it wasn't making enough money.

Why didn't Intuit sell Mint to someone so the service could continue to live? I don't know. It might be a security thing or a business thing. As far as I know, no reason has been given beyond PR [removed -profanity]. I personally suspect it might be that no one wanted to buy it because its business model is probably not profitable, but that's neither here nor there.

At any rate, it seems to me to not really be fair to compare the capabilities of a 4-year-old product to those of a 15-year-old product, and to be actually mad that the one is not as developed as the other.

It's understandable that people are upset with circumstances - they have every right to be. But it's helpful to keep in mind that Mint, after 4 years, was not what it was last month.

Quicken Simplifi is, quite simply, the best product of its kind on the market, and is likely to be for a long, long time.

Anthony Bopp
Simplifi User Since July 2022
Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Great post @ajbopp and a good summary of where so many people in this forum unexpectedly found themselves. For all the Mint-ers out there, we truly do welcome you to our community; wishing it was under better circumstances. We’re glad you’re giving Simplifi a try and we wish you success in your ultimate quest for a replacement to Mint, wherever your transition takes you.

If you approach Simplifi with an open mind, maybe - hopefully - your search can end here!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I enjoy Simplifi's spending plan with the bills (what I must pay) already subtracted. I got better handle of my spending with broader parent categories versus using each subcategory line in Mint.

The projected cash flow feature is also handy as I can take advantage of higher interest rates in savings accounts without fearing an overdraw of my checking account.

I ended my search for a Mint replacement here. There are improvements being made and I am grateful for Community and chat support. I feel Quicken listens to its users.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

This discussion has been closed.