Transaction not downloaded from bank

Options
sunflowermom
sunflowermom Member

What do I do about a past transaction not downloading from my bank? The reason it’s an issue is that it is a recurring transaction and I now have a “past” transaction not linked to anything that is messing up things. 

I’m thinking that I just create a new transaction and link it since this is what I would do in classic, but wanted to check here to see if there’s something else I should be doing?

Also, how does this even happen? I can clearly see this cleared transaction on my transactions on my bank website…why did it not download???

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:|:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:|:-
-:|:- ((¸¸.·´*

Tina

Quicken Classic user since 2006.
Quicken Simplifi User since March 2024.

Comments

• sunflowermom
    sunflowermom Member
    Options

So I went ahead and tried this but it won't show the new transaction in the dropdown where I choose to link transactions…so now what?

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Tina

• sunflowermom
    sunflowermom Member
    Options

OH! I think I figured it out! I didn't realize you could click the 3 dots on the actual transaction (not the one that says "past" in the scrollbar under projected cash flow, but in the actual register) and choose to link to a recurring transaction. So I THINK this worked because now that "past" transaction is no longer showing on my project cash flow scroll bar as "past" anymore…

Please let me know if there is anything else that I need to know that I missed. Did I do this correctly?

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Tina

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks like you figured this out!

The few times a transaction has been missing in my bank transaction list for whatever reason, I did what you did and created the transaction making sure to set it to “cleared.”

The “transaction” in the scroll bar are recurring reminders that Simplifi uses to project cash flow and are not actual transactions. You should be able to match them to the actual transaction from their ellipsis but as you discovered the actual transaction may not be listed. Linking from the actual transaction is also a good way to go.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • sunflowermom
    sunflowermom Member
    Options

Thank you! Good to have confirmation.

I am still figuring this out and the numbers are not yet correct in Simplifi compared to Quicken Classic (I haven't canceled this yet…not until I figure out Simplifi…otherwise I won't have any idea how much money I actually have.) Trying to figure out why this is…is there a way to see transactions that haven't been linked (I'm thinking of the ones that pop up when I was looking to link the one mentioned above…) so that I can see if maybe Simplifi missed some and that maybe that is throwing off my numbers? I'm unsure how to do this short of just pulling them up in that scrollbar…doesn't seem like the way to do it though.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Tina

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As you are finding out, Q Simplifi is a different animal from Q Classic.

When I made the switch from Q Classic, I did. “fresh start” in Q Simplifi. I went with 90 days of back data downloaded from my various active accounts including checking, savings, and the 3 credit cards I use for our day-2-day income and expenses. This gave me enough historical data for Q S to discover and set up pretty much all my routine monthly recurring income and expenses and add them to the Spending Plan under the Income after bills and savings. It’s been over 2 years since I made the switch so don’t remember all the details of my initial setting up, but I remember it being pretty straight forward.

I’m not sure what numbers you are referring to that are off or what they’re off from. The focus in Simplifi is the Spending plan and that’s more about planning out your income and spending then it is about bank account balancing.

Not knowing your situation or needs, it’s hard to know how to help, but the way you know how money you actually have is to look at the Accounts list at the left of the screen in the web app or the “Banking” tile at the top of the mobile app. QS updates your connected accounts daily when you first log on or open the app, web or mobile, and will update periodically through the day but other than charges to credit cards, the banking numbers don’t really change outside of your banks nightly updating of accounts. So the amounts showing in your accounts list for connected accounts reflect what your bank is reporting.

I make the distinction between QS and QC this way: QC is very much a generalized accounting app and QS is a focused planning and execution app.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • sunflowermom
    sunflowermom Member
    Options

Thank you. I'm still figuring it out but I think I am starting to get it and I am liking it! It helps that Classic has been failing me recently…with some glitchy stuff happening and for some reason it won't download the pending transactions from my bank but Simplifi does. These pending transactions make a huge difference to me as I've been having to do this manually to make sure I don't bounce anything. And I still do screw up regularly and bounce from time to time but it's been getting better. I do think that Simplifi might actually help me with this simply just for the pending transactions registering!

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on, but I'm starting to get a feel for Simplifi. Thank you for taking the time to help.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Tina

This discussion has been closed.