subscriptions vs bills

Options
sunflowermom
sunflowermom Member
edited April 19 in Getting Started

For the most part, I understand what the difference is…my mortgage, my utilities bill, my DMV registration…those are bills…and all my streaming services are subscriptions. As is my Google account that I pay for extra storage. And Apple Music. Etc etc etc…

But there are some things that I can see going either way…the domain name renewals…the hosting bill for my podcast files and for my websites…Those are bills, but they are also sort of subscriptions, I think?

Maybe it doesn't matter which I put these under…but why does Simplifi have this distinction? How does Simplifi handle these differently?

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:|:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:|:-
-:|:- ((¸¸.·´*

Tina

Quicken Classic user since 2006.
Quicken Simplifi User since March 2024.

Tagged:

Comments

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q-Simplifi does not handle these things differently. It's just a way for you as a user to distinguish bills the way it makes most sense to you.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @sunflowermom,

Here is a great article explaining the difference! Hope this helps! https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5416541-what-s-the-difference-between-bills-and-subscriptions

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have divided my recurring expenses this way:

• Bills = non-discretionary expenses. These are all those recurring expenses that are necessary to my lifestyle, admittedly this is still a bit subjective but includes the usual - utilities, insurance (if paid monthly), rent/mortgage, etc.
    • Subscriptions = discretionary expenses - expenses that add "value" to my lifestyle but certainly not necessary and includes streaming services, recurring charitable contributions, memberships.

But this is all up to the individual user and there is no set demarcation.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.