Spending report by GROUP selection

Options
Hover2mach
Hover2mach Member
edited April 25 in Feedback

I propose a spending report by “group” selection. [removed] has this. Currently we can choose category, payee, tag, but not group.

For example: Under my food group I have categories like groceries, restaurants, fast food, and coffee. But the spending report only shows each individually. I like that, but I’d also like to combine them to see total food costs in the report.

Tagged:

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21
    Options

Are your groceries, restaurants, fast food, and coffee subcategories of your food group? How would this report be different from selecting the food group top category to see all spending for the food group? Also, you could set up a Watchlist for your food group that includes all your food group subcategories and track your food spending there.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe this is already offered - Groceries is a parent category, equivalent to group in the competing app.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Hover2mach,

Thanks for reaching out! We turned this post into a discussion so that we can show how you can breakdown your Spending Report by the categories you want to see and group them based on your needs.

To make things easier for you I would first suggest making your Groceries category a subcategory of Dining & Drinks, or a similar setup so that they are all grouped together before running the Spending Report. You can do this by going to Settings > Categories & Tags > Selecting Groceries, and making it a Subcategory of Dining & Drinks via the Update Category window.

Once that is done, you can navigate to your Spending Report and select your Filters and click Apply:

You will then see that your Report is grouped by those filters, showing the amount spent:

You can click on the parent Category as well to see a breakdown by subcategory:

You can of course customize your Categories and Subcategories how you would like, and as long as you apply the correct Filter in your Spending Report you will find that it shows the correct amount spent there. I hope this visual helps, going forward!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Hover2mach
    Hover2mach Member
    Options

Thank you all! Responses were great and yes user error. I didn't realize I had Groceries in its own category. Side note: trying out lots of other apps just to compare and see what they offer better, and by far liking Simplifi the best.

This discussion has been closed.