Handling Expense Reimbursements

Options
cowboydude99
cowboydude99 Member ✭✭

Hello,

I am wondering how you would handle work expense reimbursements.

For example, say you put in 2 work expenses and receive a single check back from your employer, how would you divy up the check?

Reimbursement check = $200

Expenses: $100 cell phone, $100 software.

In Simplifi I have the two expenses from the payments I made. Is there a way to link that reimbursement check to the two payments I've made.

Tagged:

Comments

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22
    Options

I don't know of a way to link them directly - I would make an idea post for that feature. I'm thinking it could be similar to the Track A Refund feature, except that it would allow you to choose what payee the reimbursement is coming from (refund only looks for a credit from the same payee as the original expense).

In the meantime, a less-than-perfect solutiion might be to do something like this.

Enter in your expense and give it a category of Reimbursible Expense - or even more detail if you prefer.

Do this for each reimbursible expense.

Then when the check comes in, use Splits to assign portions of the check to the relevant categories

You could also use flag colors to make it easier to track which expense are covered by which income.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• cowboydude99
    cowboydude99 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, @ajbopp

Maybe I can submit an idea as you suggested. I appreciate the additional info you supplied. I do something like this with cash.

This discussion has been closed.