Why does my manual real estate account have a 0 balance?

Options

I added a manual account and chose real estate from the other asset category. I then entered a value of 420,000 (the Zillow estimate). In my dashboard, the value of the assets is $0. There is an opening balance transaction of $420,000, but it appears (from the chart) to have been -420,000 before that, for some reason. So the value is $0. Why is that and how is this helpful to represent the value of an asset?

Tagged:

Comments

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the key to successfully adding the value of your asset is to put a + in front of the number when you enter it. You should be able to edit your initial transaction with that change, and I think it will come out right.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• willjames
    Options

That does not help.. here is a screen shot of another test real estate asset I added, with a value of $100,000. See how the opening balance is $100,000; however, it seems to have started at -100,000 so the opening balance transaction just brings it to 0.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8
    Options

The opening balance transaction is what I meant to suggest adding the + sign to. Sorry for not being more clear. However, I can't explain in your screen shot above what is causing the latest balance to return to -$100,000

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• willjames
    Options

It seems to have fixed on its own. I just logged back in and now the value is correct (no longer 0)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.