Planned Spending Categories not showing correctly. (edited)

Options
2»

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @makapuu,

Thanks for your patience while we worked to get this escalated for you. It is now reported, and we will post back with any updates, as they occur.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

SIMPL-20756

• Hugaluga
    Hugaluga Member
    edited April 26
    Options

I am trying to create an expense series and assign it to a parent category, but it repeatedly assigns it to one of the children categories. The system is very confused. Here is my specific example:

I have a parent category called housing with 2 sub categories called mortgage and HOA dues.

After I create an expense series for housing, the app changes the expense series to HOA dues. What's really odd is that it says HOA dues, but when I click on it - I am only showed the mortgage expense… HOA dues aren't even included.

I saw someone post another issue with parent categories on reddit about 6 months ago. It seems the system doesn't handle parent categories very well in the spending plan. This makes the whole spending plan feature unreliable and unusable for me.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Hugaluga,

Thanks for reaching out! We have reported this issue to our product team. You can follow this post for any updates on the issue:

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Hugaluga

Have you paid any HOA dues for this month? As @Coach Jon points out this is a known issue as far as the category that shows up in the "Sending in category" field. In all my Planned Spending categories using Parent category with sub-categories that I created has this same problem. But, all spending in all sub-categories are still included.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • PedHubba
    PedHubba Member
    Options

My "Fun Money" and "Personal Care/Health" categories are showing that they are tracking the subcategories "Cash/ATM" and "Dentist", respectively, although in practice they are actually tracking the correct main categories. My other categories are showing up correctly. This is more of a cosmetic issue but still bugs me a little. I've tried deleting the category series and re-creating them and have the same issue. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Can give more info if that helps.

• MCStraight
    MCStraight Member
    Options

Hi all - I am having the same issue as @Hugaluga. I have the parent category (Monthly Bills & Expenses) selected in the transactions view which shows this:

However, the spending plan section which is mapped to that same parent category shows this:

(some details have been removed)

Thank for your help.

• Hugaluga
    Hugaluga Member
    Options

@DannyB - I actually have paid both this month and it's only showing the mortgage payment. Super odd.

I'm avoiding using the spending plan until this gets fixed. I'm just checking in on the dashboard spending categories.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Hugaluga, @PedHubba, & @MCStraight, thanks for posting to the Community!

Since it sounds like you're all experiencing the display issue with your Planned Spending expense cards where the Expense Name is the Parent Category of the Subcategory that was selected during setup, we have already reported this to our product team. However, we haven't been able to reproduce the issue from our side, so it would be great to get some additional examples and logs added to the ticket. To do so, please provide the following data:

1. A screenshot of the problematic Planned Spending expense that shows the issue.
    2. A screenshot of the setup for the Planned Spending expense showing that the Name displayed on the expense card is not the Name entered during setup, or showing that no Name was entered (you may need to delete and recreate the expense to properly show this part).
    3. A screenshot of the corresponding Category(s) set up under Settings > Categories & tags.
    4. Confirm whether the issue is also happening on the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App or not (if you use it).
    5. The browser and browser version you're accessing the Quicken Simplifi Web App from.
    6. The OS of the computer/device you're accessing the Quicken Simplifi Web App from.

Please also submit your logs via the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

Much appreciated!

-Coach Natalie

• Hugaluga
    Hugaluga Member
    Options

Here are the requested screenshots and a bonus screenshot showing that it is properly categorized in the dashboard report.

The issue is happening on Windows 10 using Chrome version 124.0.6367.63

This issue is happening in the Simplifi Mobile app as well (IOS).

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Hugaluga, thank you!

To clarify, since your 'HOA Dues' transaction is marked as Recurring, it will be counted toward the Bills & Income section of the Spending Plan and won't be counted toward the Planned Spending expense. However, you are definitely seeing the visual issue in the expense card, as it shows "1 transaction in: HOA Dues" at the bottom of the card, even though it's actually counting a transaction under 'Mortgage'. With that, I got you added to the ticket!

-Coach Natalie

• PedHubba
    PedHubba Member
    Options

@Coach Natalie

Screenshots are labeled based on the item below.

1. The screenshot I already posted of the issue I'm having with two of my categories.
    2. I deleted my Fun Money category, selected the desired parent category, and then took a screenshot of the cosmetic issue still persisting.
    3. Setup in settings.
    4. The issue is happening on the mobile app too (iOS).
    5. Firefox version 125.0.2 (64-bit)
    6. MacOS Big Sur 11.7.10
    7. Bonus: a screenshot of what I see if I try to edit the expense series telling me it's already being tracked.

Also submitted on the Feedback option on the web app. Thanks.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@PedHubba, thank you! I got you added to the ticket.

-Coach Natalie

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6
    Options

I am trying to create a new Planned Spending item.

• I select the entire Category, go through the set up flow
    • After creating the Planned Spending item
    • QS selects the first SUB category and not the entire Category

None of the other SUB categories are used in the Planned Spending this or future months.

Attempted on both mobile and desktop and incognito modes. IOS, Chrome and Mac OS latest versions.

• Coach Natalie
    edited May 7
    Options

@Max1223, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

It sounds like you're experiencing the issue that's being discussed here: [removed link to merged thread]

If so, please provide the info that's been requested in the other thread so we can add you to the ticket.

-Coach Natalie

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am getting the same BUG as others.

I select a Category for a Planned Spend, but in the label, it does NOT list the category and it lists the first Subcategory.

I've tried this on mobile, desktop and Chrome and in incognito. Based on the comments above, its a bug.

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie thanks, yes it is the same issue. I've commented there.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Max1223, thanks for letting us know!

If you'd be willing, I'd like to get you added to the ticket for this issue as an additional example. To do so, I need the following data:

1. A screenshot of the problematic Planned Spending expense that shows the issue.
    2. A screenshot of the setup for the Planned Spending expense, which can be obtained by opening the 'edit expense series' window.
    3. A screenshot of the corresponding Category(s) set up under Settings > Categories & tags.
    4. Confirm whether the issue is also happening on the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App or not (if you use it).
    5. The browser and browser version you're accessing the Quicken Simplifi Web App from.
    6. The OS of the computer/device you're accessing the Quicken Simplifi Web App from.

Please also submit your logs via the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

-Coach Natalie

• Max1223
    Max1223 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7
    Options

@Coach Natalie happy to do this, I will send you screen shots via DM

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Max1223, you've been added! Thank you!

-Coach Natalie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.