Utilities money from roommate not subtracting from whole category

Options
peaceloveelina
edited April 11 in Bills and Income

I saw an earlier post that said to mark money from roommates for shared bills under that expense category. For me, that's "utilities". I'm running into the issue that Simplifi is categorizing the money from my roomie as a net positive in Utilities in my "Other spending", where instead I need it to categorize as bills.

Do I need to split this transaction to its sub-categories for those utilities manually, or is there a way to make it subtract from the whole category? Because manually doing it seems really tedious and annoying.

Best Answer

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser āœ­āœ­āœ­āœ­āœ­
    edited April 12 Answer āœ“
    Options

@peaceloveelina

OK, that was a no go. šŸ˜

Do you track each utility separately? If so, then I suspect you will have to divide this payment among each of the utility categories since that is where the actual expenses are being tracked. You will have to do this manually each month because currently Q-Simplifi doesn't allow splits in recurring reminders.

This feature is in review, and you can add your up vote here:

Also, you will need to add a "+" to the amount field, i.e. $+35.00, since you are applying these incoming funds to an expense (outgoing) category.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    ā€Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.ā€ ~A.A. Latimer

Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser āœ­āœ­āœ­āœ­āœ­
    Options

Unless there is a compelling reason to count your roommate's payment to yourself to cover their half of the utilities, don't sweat it. You could set up the monthly payment as recurring income that is added to your total income for the month. It will still offset the cost of the utilities even if not directly assigned to that category.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    ā€Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.ā€ ~A.A. Latimer

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.