Several accounts do not seem to respond to the refresh button

Options
Neubadger
Neubadger Member

In the web version of Simplifi, for several of my investment accounts, a balance (market value) is shown, and right beneath that value the date of the most recent quote update is shown - but this date is often several days prior. There appears to be a refresh button just to the right of that date, but clicking it doesn't seem to do anything. Similarly, on the main menu on the left side of the screen, there is another refresh button that doesn't appear to update these accounts.

The image above is for an HSA account through HealthEquity, but I have the same issue with Vanguard IRA, Vanguard Roth IRA, and Vanguard Brokerage accounts.

What's up with the refresh buttons? Are they currently placeholders and being worked on? Am I misinterpreting the icon and these actually do something else? Is this HSA account unable to be refreshed?

I initially though the issue was isolated to Vanguard accounts, but then I noticed this HSA account. I also didn't see anything in the "Current Online Banking Issues" or "Known Product Issues" areas about Vanguard.

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @Neubadger,

Thanks for reaching out! I would suggest trying to refresh in another browser/incognito mode to see if that works for you. Please let us know!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Neubadger
    Neubadger Member
    Options

Hi Coach Jon,

Thanks for the suggestion. Lately I've been using Edge by default, so tonight I tried this in Edge, Edge private, Chrome, and Chrome Incognito. The refresh buttons don't appear to work in any case.

I also logged into these accounts directly to check when their last market refresh was. Tonight, Simplifi is showing all these accounts as "Quotes updated Apr 16, 2024 10:59 PM CDT". When logging into the different Vanguard accounts directly, they show "As of 4/17/2024 03:00 PM, ET". For the Vanguard accounts, the balances are slightly different. The HSA account is a bit vague and just says "Closing value" without a date or time. For the HSA account, the balances are the same.

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Neubadger,

Based on the dates provided, it does seem like they have been updating correctly. Is the data in those accounts correct and up to date?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Neubadger
    Neubadger Member
    Options

I don't mean to offend by redirecting, but maybe I should be asking a different question: What is the function of the refresh button? I assumed that the intent of the button was to force an account to refresh. What I am seeing is that the refresh buttons don't actually do anything.

Some accounts on Simplifi match what I see when I log into those accounts directly, and some accounts on Simplifi are lagging. If on the night of 4/17 I log into my Vanguard account and see that that the balances are accurate for 3pm on 4/17, and I log into Simplifi and see different balances based on the market close of 4/16, shouldn't the refresh button cause a connection to my Vanguard account and an update? Most of the time this one-day difference isn't an issue, but sometimes I care, and that's what a refresh generally handles.

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Neubadger,

Thank you for the reply! Quicken Simplifi normally refreshes every 4 - 6 hours. Here is a good article explaining how and when Quicken Simplifi does this: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4295304-adding-accounts-in-quicken-simplifi#h_4edec6a36a

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Neubadger
    Neubadger Member
    Options

"How often does Quicken Simplifi update my accounts?

Your accounts will automatically refresh when you sign into Quicken Simplifi, and you can also manually refresh them. However, Quicken Simplifi will only reach out to your bank once every 4-6 hours to retrieve new transactional and balance data."

"How do I manually refresh my accounts in Quicken Simplifi?

On the Quicken Simplifi Web App, you can select the 'Refresh' icon from the left-hand navigation bar, and on the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App, you can pull down on the screen to refresh your accounts, as well as sync data between the two Apps. Please note that Quicken Simplifi will only reach out to your bank once every 4-6 hours to retrieve new transactional and balance data."

In the cases I'm describing, the data is more than 6 hours old - and clicking the refresh buttons does not refresh the data. If Simplifi refreshes all data upon login, and some of it is still 6+ hours out of date, and the refresh buttons don't update that data, then why do the buttons exist at all? I feel like I'm missing something here.

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Neubadger,

Are the accounts themselves not updating, or is it just holdings data not updating? Additionally, I would try I would try Resetting your Account Connections as well to see if that fixes the problem for you. Let us know! https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4857199-how-to-reset-your-account-connections

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Neubadger
    Neubadger Member
    Options

Those are borderline synonymous because in this case the type and quantity of holdings are not changing.

When logged into Vanguard, I see a different balance than the one I see in Simplifi because the balance in Vanguard is based on a more recent holdings data update / market refresh. If Simplifi connects to Vanguard to check on my account, which I assume it does (in case the holdings change), this connection is not refreshing when I hit refresh. If Simplifi instead just updates holdings data from another source, which seems like an odd choice, then this isn't refreshing when I hit refresh, either.

Have you or anyone else ever clicked a refresh button and seen something change as a result?

• Coach Jon
    Options

Hello @Neubadger,

In this case, I would suggest making the accounts manual and then using the Add Account flow to get a completely fresh connection. If the connection is successful, you'll then want to link the accounts to your existing Quicken Simplifi accounts. Let us know how that goes!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.