How to handle Bills from Multiple Accounts

Options
MishaM
MishaM Member
edited April 17 in Using the Spending Plan

Hello.

Let's say I have this scenario - I pay $1000 in Rent every month from my checking account, and have a "Bill" in the spending plan for $1000 for Rent from this checking account as a recurring transaction.

This month, my landlord asks me to buy something for the house and take it out of the rent - thus I categorize the purchase as "Rent", however, I buy it with my credit card - so it coming from a different account.

This Rent transaction does not show up in the spending plan under Bills because it is not coming from the checking account, but it does show up as Rent in "Other Spending".

Is there a way to make the Bills recurring transactions not be dependent on the account they come from? How can this be handled?

TYIA!

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@MishaM, thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

If you want a transaction to show up in the Bills section of the Spending Plan instead of Other Spending, you just need to link it to the associated Recurring Series from the transaction directly:

1. Hover over the panel on the left-hand side and select Transactions.
    2. Select the account where the transaction occurred.
    3. Locate the transaction you'd like to link, hover over it, and click the three dots at the end of it.
    4. Select Link to existing recurring.
    5. Locate the associated Recurring Series and select it.

Let us know how this works for you!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The spending plan has no notion of which account things are in.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which is to say, the numbers the spending plan gives you give you no indication of the balance of any account.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Or.. If it's a one-time expense (like what the landlord had you pay for one time), in step 4 above, you can mark it as a one-time bill.

Rob Wilkens

• MishaM
    MishaM Member
    edited April 17
    Options

@Coach Natalie, thanks. It seems to show up in my Bills, but doesn't reduce the balance of my "Rent" bill.

Additionally, this doesn't seem to work for "split" transactions - let's say I split a $600 transaction by $500 to rent and $100 to groceries - when I link this transcation to a recurring series, it links the entire $600 as a bill, rather than $500 I want to count for rent.

• MishaM
    MishaM Member
    Options

It seems the only way to handle this currently is to manually reduce the "Rent" bill by the amount I'm subsidizing from a different account - that balances out the spending plan.

Could this be a new feature added?

• Recurring transactions are not always dependent on account
    • More functionality around split transcations where one of the splits can be applied to a recurring transaction rather than the amount of the full transaction

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited April 17
    Options

@MishaM, thanks for posting back!

Yes, editing the regular Rent Reminder in the Spending Plan to reduce the amount is exactly what I would have recommended for your situation.

As far as being able to link Reminders across accounts, this is already available in Quicken Simplifi. If you don't see the transaction listed when switching accounts in the account menu at the upper right of the Link Transaction window when linking from the Reminder directly, you can link from the transaction directly instead, using the steps I provided above.

This is the account menu in the Link Transaction window when linking from a Reminder:

And for the ability to link just part of a split transaction to a Recurring Reminder, please see our existing request here:

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.