Editing the Start Date of a Recurring Series skips the next Reminder instance in the Series (edited)

RobWilk
RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 6 in Report a Bug

As can be seen above, "Preview Next Occurrence" shows the next date as May 16th. The actual next date it schedules, though, is Aug 13 (Wait, preview says Aug 14, but as can be seen in screenshot below it's Aug 13).

( Note: If I change it to "Every 3 calendar months", this works as expected )

This entry was originally dated May 15, and I changed it to May 16 after scheduling an appointment

Here it is showing the incorrect/wrong next date:

After today, I'm unsure whether or not I can reproduce this, it would involve figuring out what it's doing wrong. This is the only example (from real world) I have.

Rob Wilkens

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @RobWilk,

Thanks for reaching out. I was unable to reproduce this issue on our side. If you delete the series and recreate it, does the issue still show up this way? Or is it fixed?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15

Yes! i can recreate this.

In this case, I created a reminder for May 16 quarterly every 90 days

Then saved it (it's fine)

Then I edited the series, and moved the start date back by one day to the 17th. & Saved it.

same problem

Screenshots: "oil change test"

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to emphasize, @Coach Jon , when i said i can recreate this, i meant i can recreate the bug.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Jon
    edited July 25

Hello @RobWilk,

Thanks for your patience. We have reported this issue and will follow up with any updates as we receive them!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

Ticket: SIMPL-21089 // QCS-18364

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17

I have two monthly Recurring Series (NIPSCO & AEP) that are both linked to the biller. They worked as expected last time (May). However, I didn't find them scheduled for June. Instead, I found them scheduled for July.

I found that both Recurring Series had the Start Date scheduled for July so I adjusted them to start in June like this…

But, it still shows this..

When I check Bills & Spending, I don't find them scheduled there in June.

Any ideas what I should try next?

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Jon

Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for letting us know. I went ahead and merged your post with this one, as the issue appears to be the same. We will keep you updated!

In the meantime, you can manually edit the next Reminder instance in Quicken Simplifi to correct the date as a workaround.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Jon , by "manually edit the next Reminder instance in Quicken Simplifi" do you mean manually edit the date of the one in July to June? Currently, there is no Reminder instance to edit in June.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you manually edit it at all, there's a chance one will be missed and others have wrong day.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Jon

Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, if that is the next Reminder Instance, then as a temporary workaround you may edit that one to the correct date of what should be your next Reminder Instance. Otherwise, wait for updates on this issue, and thank you for your patience!

-Coach Jon

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm adding one bit of info related to this post. Maybe it will be useful for troubleshooting. This still seems to be a problem, but I was interested to see that IF you have a Linked Biller, it adds the Reminder Instance back in whenever the biller posts their new update. At the time I added the "Temp NIPSCO" reminder, there was no reminder in June for NIPSCO. However, when I came back today, I found this!

The underlying problem still exists, but…

I had it happen with two (2) reminders: NIPSCO and Indiana Michigan Power (AEP).

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • gm2
    gm2 Member

I found what seems like a one time fix for this issue rather than having to manually edit the reminder each month as suggested by @Coach Jon.

I had a monthly recurring series and experienced this bug causing the next reminder instance to be missing. I was able to restore the missing reminder by updating the series frequency then changing back to my desired schedule. I edited the series to add an additional monthly transaction on a different day, then edited again to remove the second day that I’d added.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Adding this for additional context and so I have a record of the screenshot for future reference. For Indiana Michigan Power (AEP), on 6/28/24, I found that there wasn't any future recurring reminder for my July 11th payment; but there is one for August 11th. This is a recurring reminder for a 'Linked Biller'. Therefore, I created a temp transaction to keep my Projected Balance accurate and I suspect that when AEP / Simplifi sync with the most recent statement (any day now?), then the missing reminder will show up again just as it did for the above NIPSCO reminder. I wait and see.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Jon

Hello everyone,

It is being reported that this issue has been fixed and that everything should be working correctly. Please let us know if this fix is working on your side!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coach Jon

I ran a quick test based on my original description of the issue, and it appears to be fixed!

This is one of those bug fixes that will just make the app appear more 'stable' long term, even if it might rarely happen. Thanks for helping to get it fixed.

Less than three months for a fix like this is pretty good considering all the other priorities going on.

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

• Appears to be fixed for me as well.

This discussion has been closed.