Stock Options

simpli_struggle
simpli_struggle Member
edited July 10 in Investments

Is there any way to track Stock Option? Both allocated by companies to their employees as well as Stock Option trades in a brokerage account.

I noticed that even though, https://carta.com shows up in list of Financial Institutions but the connection does not work. Carta is used by many companies to allocate and track stock options to their employees.

Secondly, stock option trades say from Robinhood are not downloading.

I can't even enter Stock Option trades manually. I tried the option naming convention as shown here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_naming_convention but, Simplifi refuses to let me enter a transaction if the equity name does not match what it understands.

Why Simplifi? Why? Why can't I create a manual investment account and create whatever equity name I want.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin
    edited June 3

Hello @simpli_struggle,

Thanks for reaching out! Carta does currently have a known issue that you can follow for updates here:

As for Robinhood, the holdings in Quicken Simplifi should match what's on the bank's website. If they are not downloading correctly we can definitely troubleshoot. The first thing I would try is to reset your account connection first to see if that works for you. https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4857199-how-to-reset-your-account-connections

I am not completely familiar with stock options, so I am unsure how to advise you on what those could look like in Quicken Simplifi, but you can definitely manually track your investments and enter manual holdings if that is something you are looking to do. Let us know!

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• simpli_struggle
    simpli_struggle Member

The stock options buy/sell activity is present in Robinhood Account History. Showing a screenshot of one such option activity, that is not downloading in Simplifi.

I have tried resetting the connection, which no change in behavior.

• Coach Jon

Hello @simpli_struggle,

Thanks for the reply! To better help understand your situation, can you let us know if this is considered an investment transaction? If so, Quicken Simplifi might not have the right investment transaction type, but please let us know.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• simpli_struggle
    simpli_struggle Member

Yes, buying & selling options is very much investment transaction.

Instead of stocks or bonds (different kind of investment products), here we are dealing with "Stock Options" as the investment product.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_%28finance%29

• Coach Jon
    edited June 5

Hello @simpli_struggle,

Thanks for the reply. Is it all investment transactions that are not downloading in Quicken Simplifi, or is it just the Stock Options you mentioned not downloading? Is the balance matching what your bank's website shows?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• simpli_struggle
    simpli_struggle Member

Only Stock Options transactions are not downloading. Any Stock transactions are downloading fine.

The $ balance is matches what Robhinhood shows.

But obviously the "Portfolio" tab is incomplete, because no Stock Options are shown.

• Coach Jon

Hello @simpli_struggle,

Thanks for the information. Let's go ahead and have you migrate your Robinhood account to oauth to see if that fixes this issue going forward. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Make your Robinhood account manual by following the steps here.
    2. Once you see the account listed in the Manual Accounts section under Settings > Accounts, go back through the Add Account flow to reconnect to the bank.
    3. If the connection is successful, carefully link the account found to your existing Quicken Simplifi account by following the steps here. At this point, you should also see the Spending account as available to add.

Let us know if this works for you!

-Coach Jon

• Actually, before I could make the changes for OAuth. I saw a lighting bolt icon next to Robinhood, clicking on which prompted me to reconnect the account. This is downloading the information. Progress!

BUT the data is all incorrect. The same transaction that I had shown a screenshot from Robinhood is seen like the below in Simplifi. It says I sold one share of SBUX at $30 and collected $30. Well, I can live with that.. but see the following screenshot from Portfolio page.

Portfolio page says, now I have 99 SBUX shares! This is incorrect.

Simplifi is not recognizing SBUX stock differently from SBUX options.

• Coach Jon

Hello @simpli_struggle,

Thanks for the information! I am glad that the oauth connection at least allowed the download of the options. To better assist us going forward, could you please let us know if it is just the portfolio that is incorrect currently in Quicken Simplifi? Are the Investment Transactions coming in okay with the Options you mentioned?

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• Short answer:

Transactions are coming in okay. Portfolio is incorrect.

Long answer:

Transaction should consider Options as Options not Stocks. I wish, Simplifi would either understand Options information like Strike Price, Expiration Date, Premium price etc.

• Coach Jon
    edited June 10

Hello @simpli_struggle,

Thanks for the information, as this has cleared up what the issue is here. There is no "Stock Option" type for investment transactions in Quicken Simplifi. As such, Quicken Simplifi will default to the closest one that is currently available.

I would suggest creating an Idea post to request the Stock Option type for Investment Transactions, so that you and other users may vote for the idea and follow it for updates.

As for the holdings being incorrect, if I could have you provide the below information, we can get this issue escalated:

• The name of the account, as it appears in Quicken Simplifi.
    • The balance for the account in the Accounts List in Quicken Simplifi (this is the list of all accounts and balances on the left side of the Dashboard on the Quicken Simplifi Web App, or the list of all of your accounts when you select "Accounts" from the Quicken Simplifi Mobile App).
    • The balance for the account in the Investments Portfolio in Quicken Simplifi (if you have multiple investment accounts, you'll want to filter the page to just this account).
    • The balance for the account as displayed on the bank's website.
    • A screenshot of the holdings for the account in Quicken Simplifi (if you have multiple investment accounts, you'll want to filter the page to just this account).
    • A screenshot of the holdings on the bank's website for a comparison.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

This discussion has been closed.