Why does the "Net Income" report not match spending report "Available"

DANK
DANK Member
edited July 10 in Using Reports

At the end of the month, the Net Income value doesn't match what is left in my Spending Plan's "available" number. Why are they different? If all of my income, planned, and actual spending in my spending plan is accounted for, shouldn't that essentially be "in" minus "out"?

Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you hide any transactions from the spending plan?

Rob Wilkens

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭

Are you using any rollovers? Leftover rollover money doesnt get subtracted from the spending plan but it isnt an actual spend so it isnt on the net income report.

• DANK
    DANK Member

Any Transactions that have any "hides" on them are hidden from BOTH Spending Plan and Reports.

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @DANK,

Thanks for reaching out! The amount available left at the end of the month is calculated using Income after bills & saving, planned spending, and other spending. If you could attach a screenshot showing your Spending Plan as well as the Net Income report, I think this would help us determine what is being calculated differently.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

• DANK
    DANK Member

Hi Jon,

I've attached screenshots of the two screens I am referring to. Note that the "Income" field in the Spending Plan matches that of the Net Income report. The " Expenses" in the Spending report is higher than that of the net income. I know the "Savings goal" has the option of factoring into the spending plan or not; either way the difference between the spending report and the net income report is not a multiple of 500 (what is included in the saving goal category. I reviewed all transactions for the month of May and confirmed that any transaction that is hidden from "reports" is also hidden from spending plans.

• DANK
    DANK Member

I am not using rollovers, thanks for mentioning.

• Wedo778
    Wedo778 Member ✭✭✭✭

I see the alert in your Planned Spending box. Have you "released" the funds that you planned but did not spend? I believe the Planned Spending does not update until you do this, it doesn't auto-adjust to what you actually spent in those categories on its own.

• DANK
    DANK Member

Yes I have released the funds. The alert is from overspending in some categories

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question. There is certainly a difference between how Net Income in Reports is calculate and the way "Left at end of month" is calculated in the Spending Plan.

I went back through January this year and there were a couple of months that were close but never a match and usually substantial difference.

I do use rollover for several Planned Spending buckets, so there is that and I do make transfers to savings and investment accounts so wonder about how those affect the number in the Spending Plan vs if or how those show up in Net Income report.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @DANK,

Thanks for the reply, and the information! We will need you to verify the differences between your Spending Plan and the report by comparing the two with the transactions in each. Transactions that are excluded from reports will still show in the transaction activity of the report but will have an excluded icon. Transfers can be included in the Spending Plan but cannot be included in reports as well.

Additionally, you will need to make sure all of your recurring items are matched for the Bills & Income section to make sure the expected value matches the actual value. That goes for Planned spending items being resolved as well. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Coach Jon

This discussion has been closed.