Check # Field: Share your feedback here!

Coach Natalie
Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
edited August 19 in Feedback

We'd love to hear from all on how the new Check # field works! What do you use this field for and how does it improve your experience? Notice a bug or something that doesn't seem quite right? We want to hear that too!

Our announcement here has more details on this new feature:

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I looked at this for the first time today. Pretty cool. It only slightly creepy that I found the field already filled out when I went to look at it! I don't know what magic Simplifi is using, but it apparently works!

Not planning on using this often, but it's nice to know its there and I can stop adding the number to the note field.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

Nice! I agree with @Flopbot: I'm happy to stop adding the number to the note field.

Now if only I could customize my transactions list based on the type of account so that I see Check Number for bank accounts but not credit cards.

• Coach Marcus
    Coach Marcus Moderator admin

You should only see the check# field in your transaction list for checks. They shouldn't appear when looking at a credit card. Are you seeing them when looking at a credit card?

• lindsayla18
    lindsayla18 Member ✭✭

Hi @Coach Marcus

I just went into Simplifi to look at this again and pinpoint where the issue arises.

If I choose an account from the Accounts panel on the left side of the screen, the check# field is present only for checking accounts, not credit card accounts. It's great to know that works!

Usually I click on the Transactions icon on the far left navigation panel to see all my transactions at once. The check# field is always present even if I filter on account to see only credit card accounts.

• Coach Marcus

lindsayla18, thank you for your reply and for the detailed explanation of how this wasn't working as you expected. Yes, in the all-transaction view, we don't currently show and hide columns based on what is filtered. That's a really interesting idea but not in the product today. I'll write it up as a potential future enhancement. Thanks for the explanation and the feedback.

• Coach Natalie

Check # field/column is out of Early Access and live for everyone!

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

The only feedback I can think of is to move the Check field on mobile above the Attachment field. It’s nice that the Check fields only appears on checking accounts; however, having the Attachment field’s location change from account to account makes my weekly ’receipt entry’ less efficient. I’ve clicked into the Check Field multiple times thinking I was entering a receipt…muscle memory and all that.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Marcus

Flopbot. That's interesting. We placed it at the bottom so it wouldn't move the other fields from account to account, but I think you're saying that you always aim for the last field in the list to add an attachment, causing you issues.

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think it's great! Hoping that Simplifi will now do a better job of matching Pending transactions (checks that I've entered when I write them out) with the Cleared transactions that download from the bank. I've been putting the Check # in as the Payee since that seemed to give best results but it would be nice if I could put the actual payee there instead of in Notes as I've been doing until now.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct @Coach Marcus , I’m used to the attachment field having always been at bottom in Mobile transactions regardless of account so I often don’t pay super close of attention to what I’m clicking when entering receipts…which is very rote memory.

It’s not the end of the world, but it would be nice it the two bottom fields (check & attachment) in Mobile flip flopped locations.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16

I had the same experience. Simplifi took the check numbers from my notes in the note field for my checking account when available. I am glad to use this feature.

Also, the check number field shows up in an investment account transaction.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Marcus

Yes, we just recently added the Check# field to investment transactions in case you're paying bills from your investment account.

• Coach Natalie

We appreciate everyone's feedback here!

This discussion has been closed.