bills not showing up in my planned spending.

spal255
spal255 Member
edited August 12 in Using the Spending Plan

I may be doing this wrong… I have planned spending budgets with roll-over setup for yearly recurring bills. I entered my quarterly property tax bill as a recurring bill series. I just paid the bill and matched it, however it is entered as a bill and therefore does not seem to come out of my budgeted planned spending categories. The bill uses the same category. How do I get the bill to take the money from the budget I have been saving for? Was I incorrect in entering this as a bill? I could have just entered an expense, but I want to be reminded when the next bill is due.

Comments

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11

@spal255

If you want an expense to be accounted for in Planned Spending don’t set it up as a recurring bill. For your tax payment to be covered by your Planned Spending rollover category, simply delete the recurring series. Once the series is deleted the payment will be assigned to and covered by your Pllanned Spending category.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭✭

Recurring series transactions are already accounted for under bills and subscriptions. Hence, they won’t appear in planned spending. This is to prevent counting the same transaction twice in your monthly budget.

• spal255
    spal255 Member

Thank you for your responses. I guess that makes sense. I wish there was a way to put aside money every month for yearly bills. I guess putting them in as expenses works, that way they come out of the rollover budget I have created, but it is a bill and I liked seeing it in my bills category.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

The other option is to use a Savings Goal to track the accumulation of funds needed. But when it comes time to pay the bill you will have to exclude it from your spending plan.

My county is offering a means to pay our property tax bill monthly starting this year. Once set up I will definitely set up this payment a monthly recurring which will move it to the Bills section.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • spal255
    spal255 Member

For sure, that is a helpful way to do it. As I got on my feet financially using programs like this and YNAB in the past I learned that paying things like insurance and Netflix etc. yearly as opposed to monthly allowed me to get discounts. That's why I like to budget monthly but pay all at once yearly at a discounted rate. Sadly no discount on property taxes…. Thanks again for your help!

This discussion has been closed.