Using splits (multiple categories) in Recurring Transactions (4 Merged Votes)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Pharoiste
    Pharoiste Member ✭✭
    Options

The Mint shutdown was announced in late 2023; this thread was started in late 2019. The extensive "delay" in implementing this feature cannot reasonably be attributed to whatever influx of users there was from Mint being discontinued. After four years without even any kind of a progress report, the only logical inference to be drawn is that the feature is not under consideration and never has been.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not suggesting it's the highest priority or ever has been. But so many useful feature ideas have dropped into obscurity in an effort to get as many Mint users as possible.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Pharoiste
    Pharoiste Member ✭✭
    Options

This isn't some obscure function like ensuring that you can add precious metals to your Roth. Having splits in recurring transactions is fundamental, something that nearly everyone would need or have use for. Also, it's not a question of what priority level Quicken is placing upon this feature. Simplifi users have been asking for this feature for over four years, and Quicken hasn't even said whether they intend to consider it.

"Say, sweetheart… you know, it's been over four years now since I suggested getting married. What do you think?"

"I haven't decided whether it's something I should start thinking about."

"Any idea when you might?"

"No."

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree entirely, except that the first post in this thread shows that they have decided to start thinking about it.

I am somewhat forgiving of an application that is four years old not having the same functionality of apps that are over a decade old. I would expect that until recently Quicken had no reason to suspect this app would be successful, and probably staffed it accordingly. Not everything can be done right now. Priorities have to be made based on what is believed will make the software most successful at any given time.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Pharoiste
    Pharoiste Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't see anyone on the Quicken development team on this thread, only discussion moderators.

In any event, after about five or six months on this app, I can report that I do mostly like it, but there are some features whose absence is pretty peculiar in a personal finance app. This is one of them. I don't know that I'll be abandoning Simplifi altogether, but I have a feeling I might end up using it in parallel with another personal finance app, so that they can each compensate for each others' weaknesses.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I remember when I first signed up with simplifi (3+ years ago, before it was Quicken Simplifi), I chatted with Quicken Chat Support and they basically told me Simplifi was dead / no longer supported. 3 years later, though, i'm still using it and it appears the user base is growing judging from these forums.

Rob Wilkens