Can I "start over" with recurring transfers?

DannyB
DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 23 in Using Transfers

If I want to redo all my recurring transfers, is it better to Delete or End the current series?

My reason for asking is that I keep having problems with various transfers showing up correctly in the Transfers & Credit Card Payments section and I'm wondering if I either delete or end my current recurring transfers if that will help realign this feature and eliminate or reduce the number of mismatches.

Danny
Simplifi user since 01/22
Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

@DannyB

Interesting question. Awhile back I had something go wrong while syncing several brand new savings accounts that I had opened with my primary bank - the one with my main checking account. Long story short, ALL my Recurring Series for my main checking account vanished. While I never did figure out what happened, I’m not too worried since that particular alignment of stars isn’t likely to happen again.

I ended up re-creating all of them and even improved a number based on a more current understanding of Simplifi. In the short term, it was 4-5 hours of frustration. In the long term , it was a good thing.

I went back to the beginning and attaching each individual transaction to their corresponding Recurring Series (~400 individual transactions). Honestly, I don’t think that this is necessary based on how Simplifi works; though it did satisfy the OCD side of me. One important thing to remember is that if you’re consistent with how you name things, then you can easily filter based on Payee names. Then, use Select All > Edit to make large-scale tweaks.

That said, it’s not ideal because this Idea Post hasn’t happened yet…

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/comment/33418#Comment_33418?utm_source=community-search&utm_medium=organic-search&utm_term=bulk+edit+recurring+series

I guess I would probably recommend completely deleting them just so that you don’t have a whole bunch of random problems with Recurring Series to the future. To quote a former coworker of mine “A clean database is a happy database.” This wise proverb would lead me to believe that, yes it will fix some of your problems.

P.S. Your Projected Balance chart at the top of your account register will be completely shot and 0% trustworthy until you’ve completely finished your work. If that’s a major problem, then you may not want to start the work in the first place.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24

Thanks @Flopbot

Back in my Quicken Classic days I would do a "fresh start" every couple of years by starting a new data set. I still have all those data sets stored away on an external HD in the bottom of my catch all desk drawer!

I've thought about asking Coach Natalie to delet my current QS data set and doing a fresh start here in QS.

For now I'll go with your advice.to delete all my current recurring transfers and rebuild them.

A curiosity that I have been noticing since I moved my banking from WF to Capital One starting in May and finishing in July making the appropriate changes in my recurring bills, subscriptions and transfers series. However, QS will see a transfer and assign my old WF account as the sending account... artifacts!

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24

To be clear, I’m not saying to delete all your old transactions associated with a Recurring Series, just the Recurring Series itself!

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.