Matching savings goal funds to expenses

MattS
MattS Member
edited September 4 in Using Savings Goals

I understand now, after reading posts on here, that you are expected to exclude an expense from the spending plan after you have withdrawn the money from your savings goal to pay for it. However, what are you supposed to do when the money saved and expense don't match up?

For example, tax bills. If I met my goal of $5,000 for my tax bill, but the bill came in at $6,000, how do I account for the extra $1,000 in expense that was not saved for? As I do not see a way to exclude a partial expense, would I need to first contribute an extra $1,000 into the goal for that month and then withdraw it right back out?

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

This is where maybe 'hiding part of a split' (if it existed) could be useful, presuming you could have 2 splits of the same category - - 'tax' split 1 could be $5000, 'tax' split 2 could be $1000, and you could exclude split 1 and leave split 2.

An alternative method to hiding the transaction, though, is if it the money was held aside in a differrent account (like savings) you could transfer the $5000 and unhide the money in side (the + side), this would show the $5000 as virtual income for the spending plan. If you did this, don't hide the transaction instead, and it should balance out.

Here's the 'idea' post to vote for for hiding splits (Oops- you can't vote for this, it is planned already as a new feature coming soon hopefully):

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.