Recurring Bill not showing in pending transactions (edited)

EllieBean
EllieBean Member
edited September 4 in Managing Your Transactions

I have a recurring bill set up that goes through on the 3rd of the month. Shouldn't that transaction now (8/4) be showing in my pending transactions?
It is actually pending in my bank

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4

Only if (1) you entered it manually, or (2) it downloaded from your bank. I know, for example, my Chase Bank accounts do not download transactions on weekends (*edit: or any day the bank is closed), and today is a Sunday (which is a weekend-day).

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

• EllieBean
    EllieBean Member

I figured that was it - it shows pending in my bank. BUT - if this is being used for budgeting and I'm telling it this bill shows up monthly even if it hasn't cleared my account - I would think it should be showing up as pending. In essence, reminding me this charge is coming …

Not complaining to you … but I guess I am complaining! 😉

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's a recurring charge, it's already factored into your spending plan (or "budget") if you use that. If you wanted to, you could always enter a manual transaction for it (but then you might have to manually link it to recurring transaction). In the case of Chase, my bank, the bank made a decision not to allow downloads (besides "balance") outside of banking hours (before 7am ET, for example, it might not work either)—- I tried (not that hard though) to get them to change it, but I am just one customer.

I personally manually enter most of my transactions. Among other things, downloads happen at most once every 4-5 hours, so i can update it in between that. If a downloaded transaction duplicates a manual one, there's a merge button. I treat Simplifi like i might treat a checkbook, it does the math though (and reports, etc), but I do the entry. If I enter things, I can put in splits and notes based on what i know the transaction is when it happens, whereas if i just let it download it would have a generic name/category and no details.

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and your cash flow chart should show balances into the future factoring in any unlinked reminders… I like to look ahead to next income (day before) to see how much i really have left.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW: In my opinion, the worst thing it could do is automatically enter transactions. For example, it might automatically enter a credit card payment, when the payment was never actually made. That would be bad.

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.