Add Running Balance (edited)

jlocke0105
jlocke0105 Member
edited September 18 in Feedback

I have a suggestion. I used Quicken back in the early 2000’s and then used Quickbooks for 20 years, so i have a lot of experience with financial software. I’m really liking some of the features in Simplifi however its very frustrating to have your accounts online but not be able to get a true account balance unless I make the account manual. Every user should be able to get a running account balance when you have added pending transactions that the bank hasn't seen yet. If I have outstanding checks, that can take weeks to clear, I can’t get a true account balance unless I take the account manual. I have to manually calculate how much money I have to spend. Thats ridiculous. What’s the point of the software then? Just add a running balance under each transaction line item, then give the Bank balance. It will be easy to see what the different balances represent. Mo matter what format (online or manual) you are using you should be able to look at the app and easily tell how much money you actually gave available to use.

Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Jon
    Coach Jon Moderator admin

Hello @jlocke0105,

Thanks for reaching out! We do have a great support article that goes over why we do not have a running balance in Quicken Simplifi. You can read though it here: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4705661-does-quicken-simplifi-have-a-running-balance-column

Hope this helps!

-Coach Jon

• FireMedic
    FireMedic Member

PLEASE reconsider this! I've pretty much stopped using Simplifi because I can't trust it. Coming from Quicken, I tried it for a while without a running balance and thought I could get along without it. Then I found that transactions were missing or being duplicated. I had issues with memorized recurring transactions that were different from the actual transaction (e.g. water or electric bill) and transactions that were deleted. Once I found these errors, it made me lose ALL trust in the accounting. Without a running balance, it is pretty much impossible to ensure that the transactions in Simplifi are accurate. Yes Simplifi maintains a current balance but that's not why I use accounting software. Every credit card and bank account has a mobile app so I can easily get that information from there. I use accounting software so I can accurately categorize activity so that I can budget and track my finances, plan for the future, and project balances. If I can't trust and verify that Simplifi is accurate, why use it?
    I've mostly gone back to using Quicken Online for this reason which is unfortunate because Simplifi is easier to use. Quicken Online has been messing up transactions as well but because it has a running balance, I know when things go wrong and I can go fix it.

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin

Hello @FireMedic,

While it's not the same as a running balance column, Quicken Simplifi does offer a form of reconcile process (click here for more information). Using that process may help narrow down the transactions that would need to be reviewed if there is a problem. Additionally, if you're encountering issues with duplicate and missing transactions, these articles may help your troubleshoot those issues:

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4901071-how-to-resolve-duplicate-transactions

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/3412682-troubleshooting-missing-transactions

I hope this helps!

-Coach Kristina

This discussion has been closed.