Creating Rules at the Report Level?

andyqq99
andyqq99 Member

The ability to create a rule for changing the default category based on the payee for that transaction and others no longer seems to exist at the report level for an individual transaction. There used to be a checkbox that would allow you to do this, but I no longer see it. Am I accurate in my understanding here?

It appears this feature is profiled on the help center article below under "You can also create a Category Rule from a Transaction", but doesn't seem to exist anymore, at least from what I can tell.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4792733-how-to-use-transaction-rules

Comments

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@andyqq99 You got me on that one. I have only created rules (seldom) when I rename a downloaded payee (and Simplifi prompts me) or I go to Payees and Rules under Settings. But it's funny that one often doesn't notice things until one uses them.

I didn't realize until yesterday that Net Worth Report wasn't counting "Other Assets". It was showing up correctly in the Transaction List and at the top graph but not the lower ones in Reports. And this was reported months ago. 🤫

I bookmarked this because I want to see what the Superusers have to say.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Yes, the box for creating rules from a transaction only appears from the transaction list, not the reports section. I share your understanding.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@UrsulaA But I don't see a way to make the Rules box come up except when renaming the transaction when you first download it. Is there another way to make it come up?

Steve

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Yes, by typing a different payee name on the payee line or adding a space in the payee name via transaction in line editing on the transaction list.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Thanks. A couple follow-up questions.
    1. The challenge with the transactions list is the only way I see that I could sort it of any value is by date, descending. I typically go in and recategorize transactions 2X a month for that current month and then the entirety of that month, descending by cost, so that I focus on the most important transactions first. This option doesn't allow me to do that, unfortunately, so it is a workaround, potentially, but not as ideal. Am I understanding that correctly?

2. Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly, the help center article I shared (and reposted below) doesn't really show whether that is happening on the transactions tab or the reporting tab. FWIW, I am fairly certain I was able to do this previously on the reporting tab. I recognize product features can change and it can take a while to update external-facing material, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding all this.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4792733-how-to-use-transaction-rules

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

@UrsulaA I tried that before and it didn't work but now I figured it out. It will bring Payee Suggestions and a Renaming Rule if it is a downloaded Payee, but not if it is one you did manually. And I do more manually than the other way around. Thanks!

Steve