Make Credit Card Bills a separate entity from Recurring Transactions (edited)

Options
barryh
barryh Member ✭✭
edited December 2021 in Feature Requests

Credit Card bills can now only be set up as recurring transactions, but I'd rather see them as separate entities tied to the credit card account, not the account that I pay them from. I can pay them lots of ways, not with the same account and they are never the same amount. I want to know how much I owe for each credit card (statement balance and minimum would be nice, but I always pay the statement balance, and automatically when allowed). I would like these on a calendar. My main use case is to make sure that the account that does the autopays has enough in it to cover all of my credit card bills. Mint.com is moving towards this approach I think. My small bills, like my Hulu $2.15 per month bill that goes to a credit card is tons less important than the $2800 credit card bill due on the 3rd of the month that could cause an automatic payment to bounce.

32 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Paco
    Coach Paco Moderator admin
    Options

@barryh Great suggestion!

• Tickko
    Tickko Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I think having the ability to have bills that you can then schedule into the activity transactions as pending would be a really nice addition. Similar to how Quicken handles bills.

• LoftyDuck
    LoftyDuck Member ✭✭
    Options
    I would also love this feature. I have 4 different credit cards that vary widely month-to-month with the statement balance that I pay out of my checking account. I can manually enter a transaction for a future date, but the UX could be improved so that I can enter the scheduled payment for each credit card in one place. Then it will automatically be added to the correct accounts with the right category (transfer). As barryh said - the goal here is to ensure whatever account you are using to pay the credit card will have sufficient funds at a date in the future.
  • wavehowie
    Options

This is my exact use case and the one thing I'm missing from Mint as I try to transition from Mint to Simplifi

• This is also a must have and very basic feature that is critical to me. I am amazed that it is so onerous and confusing at present, yet still does not do what Mint did with no effort other than connecting an account to Mint. It is a deal breaker for me. For a transaction tracking tool to not be able to display the statement balance and due date is amazing and baffling to me.

• NASAshaun
    NASAshaun Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I just want to be able to see all of my credit card statement balances and due dates (automatically synced from my banks) in one place, like we had in Mint. This was one of my most frequently used features in Mint so that I could transfer enough funds to checking to cover my monthly credit card transfers. Now I have to manually go to each bank website to collect the statement balance information, which partially defeats the purpose of an aggregator like Quicken. Mint was able to get this data automatically from the same datalinks.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can currently see exactly how much my balance is on all my connected credit cards. The balance as of today and for most of them any pending charges I put on a credit card during the day is added to that balance giving me pretty much a continuously updated balance for each connected card listed in my accounts list.

Since all charges to my credit cards are expenses that I have set up in my Spending Plan either as recurring bills and subscriptions or included in one of my Planned Spending categories and given the "grace period" all credit cards issuers provide, I know I will have the funds available in my cash account(s) out of which these cards are paid when it comes time to pay them.

Off the top of my head I can think of maybe two reason this would not be the case, if I spent money designated for Spending Plan expenses for something outside of my plan or I wasn't accurate in setting up my Spending Plan in the first place.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer