Ability to run Reports by Subcategory (edited)

Gerry C
Gerry C Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Feature Requests
I suggest to enable the Spending report by subcategory. Be able to see the amount by subcategory. 
60 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @Gerry C,

Thanks for posting your suggestion to the Community!

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so that other Users can vote on it; please be sure to add your vote as well! ;)

-Coach Natalie
  • bleen
    bleen Member ✭✭
    I'd love to see this as well ... my use case is getting a better handle on groceries vs. eating out vs. meal service ...  is it really cheaper (for me) to cook at home? And by how much.... currently this is a hard question to answer
  • @Coach Natalie Any updates on this idea? It would be great to see subcategories in Top Spending Categories instead of just the parent category names.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @SimplifineHowareyou,

Thanks for reaching out!

There's still no update to provide on this request as of yet, however, please be sure to stay tuned for future updates. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Rkg
    Rkg Member
    I didn’t realize reporting by subcategories was not an option. I thought it was a bug when I tried to report a subcategory. I hope this gets implemented soon. 
  • ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    If I filter on sub-categories in the Spending Report (Gas & Fuel and Books in the example below) It only shows me parent category name - Auto & Transport and Entertainment. Looking at this report I might be confused into thinking this is showing me expenses for items that are specifically excluded, especially if I print it out and review it again later on.

I would like to see the sub-categories spelled out in the report, perhaps under the parent category title. This would also allow for a  more precise report, in that I could see a total for a parent category, and see how it breaks down across child categories.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• I am going to stop using Simplifi because this feature doesn't exist. The most important part of a budget is to be able to categorize expenses correctly to track and report on them.

• pdel
    pdel Member
    edited April 2023

Just like the previous comment, not being able to create a report by subcategory is a showstopper for me. I like the product otherwise, but will look for another alternative that provides that capability. [removed - no soliciting]

• SamM
    SamM Member ✭✭

This seems like a bug. If I had realized I couldn't do this, I would never have created subcategories. Please fix.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

You can drill down and see the subcategories by clicking on the main categories.

Rob Wilkens

• KiaKatt
    KiaKatt Member
    edited July 2023

Could you elaborate? I’m unable to figure out how to do that. In the first screenshot I’m unable to click the category in the pie chart. If I click the category in the list (bottom red circle in first screenshot) then it simply takes me to the second screenshot which shows all transactions.

It doesn’t show anything by subcategory, just by transaction. It tells you the subcategory but I want to know how much of my dining is coffee shops vs fast food, for example.

Definitely a deal breaker if I can’t do this. It was the primary usecase for using the product and I see multiple posts in the forums saying it’s possible but I can’t find a way to. Note to self to do more research before investing time into a product.

edit: I selected small for the pictures but it seemed to keep them large. Can’t figure out how to decrease the size, sorry they take up so much space.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't use the mobile app much, perhaps someone else can answer. I believe the drill down (top level, 2nd level) is how it works from memory on the web app.

Rob Wilkens

• KiaKatt
    KiaKatt Member
    edited July 2023

Honestly I thought it was only an app because when I went to the website it advertised the app to me. I’ll check that out because I’m okay with using my computer I’m just not on it as much and didn’t know it had a web version.

[removed]

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

@KiaKatt , does this get you closer?

On the website (i.e. Desktop App)...

On your phone (i.e. Mobile App)…

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Fully agree with this!! When I filter for a specific category, I'd like the pie chart to change to display the individual sub-categories.

Currently, when you filter to a single category, the pie chart changes to a solid circle and does not represent the breakdown of the sub-categories.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

If the pie chart is filtered to only one category, just click on that category next to that pie chart (or on the pie chart which is all that category) and it should break down into subcategories. Or am I misunderstanding?

Rob Wilkens

• I would also like to be able to see the sub-categories when viewing spending and income reports over time. While one can drill down and see the subcategories by clicking on the main categories in the total (pie chart or bar chart) view, it does not appear to be possible in the over time graph.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like the ability to see spending by subcategories as an option in Reports.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of an 'option' (like you said, 'ability') to see it this way. Ideally, when you set the option, it would remember the last setting.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

[removed link to merged thread]

There's already an idea post on this with existing votes (don't have to start at 1 vote)

Rob Wilkens

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Good catch! And I had already added my up vote to that one.

Actually, I just went back to Reports and (re)discovered that this functionality is already present in reports just not at the "top" level. I can click on any given category and see the breakdown by subcategory. This seems simple enough. I guess this would make this a request to raise this to the report set up level. But for what I want to see, I can accomplish this easy enough with the current configuration.

Thanks, Rob, for pointing this out.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Emacken
    Emacken Member ✭✭

Oddly enough, it seems to work on the Spending report, but not on the Income report- when I choose "Breakdown by Category" everything still shows up as a solid pie of "Total". I can break down by "Payee" instead and it's not too big of an issue, but it would be nice to have all my paychecks in the same pie wedge.

• Scott1
    Scott1 Member

I've seen similar ideas from 2021, but don't see anything recent.

I need to be able to see Income reports by Subcategory rather than just Personal Income (i.e. - breakdown by Dividend, Paycheck, Interest, etc.). The stacked bar is useless without the Subcategory breakdown. By Payee isn't all that helpful, but a touch better.

• Scott1
    Scott1 Member

Follow up: I suppose I could take the time to add a Tag to all the transactions to work around this. Seems cumbersome though.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Clicking any category in the report gives you the subcategory breakdown.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Agree - currently I see a breakdown by subcategory on the total pie chart report when I click on the blue donut having a breakdown by category. The stacked over time does not offer this click through option.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

Yes, on the pie chart. Clicking on the category does not give us subcategories in the over time stacked bars. Unless we are missing something.

Minter 2014-2023

• Scott1
    Scott1 Member

The pie chart is fine if I want to click through (multiple steps from default view - change to current or previous month - change to Total only - click) as opposed to the default multi-month view on the Income report with an ability to simply break down by Subcategory (one click)

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I agree with your idea @ScottSimplifi - the income over time stacked bar chart should behave the same as the spending over time stacked chart with the sub categories shown.

Minter 2014-2023

• QQQ
    QQQ Member

Viewing subcategories over time is important to me. I'd rather not have to download to a spreadsheet to do it.

For example I like to view my electric bill or water bill only, over time so I can spot trends (like a leaky pipe!).

And as an added feature, it would be wonderful if I could filter on the month - see what my electric bill was in March for the last few years for example.