Mobile App: Ability to create "Subscriptions" from existing transactions [edited] (1 Merged Vote)

tapierce
tapierce Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2022 in Feature Requests
When you select an existing transaction to create a recurring charge there is currently no way to label it as a "Subscription". Instead, you can only label it as a "Bill" by toggling the "Is a Bill" field on. After the recurring transaction(s) is created you then need to go under Settings/Recurring and edit each new recurring charges and change the type from "Bill" to "Subscription" in order to have them labeled properly.

It would be nice to be able to select type "Subscription" when the recurring charge is created so we wouldn't have to go back and manually edit each new recurring entry each time.

It seems the easiest way to do this would be to change the "Is a Bill" field to "Is Recurring" and then allow the user to select either Bill or Subscription thereafter in a separate field.
~Terry

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." ~ Paul Ehrlich
6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @tapierce,

Thanks for posting your suggestion to the Community!

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so that other Users can vote on it and our Product Team can review it. Please be sure to add your vote as well! :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
  • tapierce
    tapierce Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you!
    ~Terry

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." ~ Paul Ehrlich
  • purdnost
    purdnost Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Mark a transaction as a bill:
    All Transactions > Transaction > Is a Bill

Mark a transaction as a subscription:
    Settings > Recurring Series > … > Edit Series > Advanced > Type

The subscription toggle feels buried. Would be nice if it appeared below the bill toggle.
  • Beelz
    Beelz Member
    Just adding a +1 to this.

I couldn't figure out how to make anything a subscription until I found this post. Having it in settings doesn't make sense from a UX standpoint (Generally 'Settings' is something you only need to set at the beginning or change once in a great while. Something frequent like updating transactions to select if they are a subscription or bill should be placed at a higher level in the UI).

Also, just as a note, this was one of the benefit statements that caused me to go with this application over others. In one of the marketing ads it mentioned 'Easily see your subscriptions to see what you may be able to eliminate or what might be duplicated with your spouse'. My assumption from this was that there would be some AI/Machine Learning behind the scenes that would be looking and auto classifying some transactions as subscriptions (Obvious things like Gym, Netflix, Hulu, etc.) along with the recurrence of the subscriptions (Some are monthly, some quarterly and some annual).  It's the annual ones that I always forget about and get surprised by.

So would love to see the ability to make these edits directly on my transactions and have some machine learning running to help catch and classify them as they come in.
  • tapierce
    tapierce Member ✭✭✭
    "I couldn't figure out how to make anything a subscription until I found this post. Having it in settings doesn't make sense from a UX standpoint (Generally 'Settings' is something you only need to set at the beginning or change once in a great while. Something frequent like updating transactions to select if they are a subscription or bill should be placed at a higher level in the UI)."

I agree with Beelz on this as I've found it very strange that our recurring items are buried in the settings option.  My vote is to move it onto the main menu so it's much more accessible. I use the option often and imagine others do as well.
    ~Terry

• Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @tapierce & All,

When reviewing this request, it appears that this ability is now available for the Simplifi Web App by marking a transaction as a new Recurring Bill and then selecting "Subscription" from the 'Create series' window that pops up. 

With that being said, however, I'm not seeing this ability on the Simplifi Mobile App, and a manual adjustment to the Series is still required in the Settings>Recurring section after creating the Recurring Series from the transaction. Is this request for the Mobile App specifically, or was it originally made for the Web App?

If the latter, or if anyone would still like to see this ability added to the Mobile App specifically, we can totally turn this into a mobile-specific request. Otherwise, I am looking to mark this Idea as "Completed". 

Please let me know, thank you! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • tapierce
    tapierce Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Natalie - Thanks for the update.  Personally, I'd like to see this option available in both the web app and the mobile app(s) since I use both.  From a consistency standpoint it would make sense for it to be there as well.  
    ~Terry

• Coach Natalie
    Agreed @tapierce -- thanks for confirming! :smile:

-Coach Natalie