Ability to use Transaction Rules/Quickfill for manual transactions (edited)

SamM
SamM Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Feature Requests
If I create a manual transaction and enter the payee, it does not use my category rule for that payee to fill in the category and I have to fill it in by hand. It should use my category rule when I enter the payee.
12 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Norm6257
    Norm6257 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    When entering a manual transaction and picking a saved Payee, please also bring in the memorized transaction category for that payee.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited April 2022
    Hello @Norm6257,

Thanks for posting your suggestion to the Community!

Would you mind clarifying your request a bit, please? Are you referring to creating Category Rules that can be applied once the Payee of a manual transaction is entered/selected, or are you referring to something along the lines of what's been requested here?

Please let me know, thank you! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Norm6257
    Norm6257 Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Natalie,

It's something like the idea you referenced, but not quite the same.  That idea says that the "last" category used should be the default for new transactions.

What I'm requesting is this:  If there is a category rule defined for a payee.  For example, "ATT" has a category rule to assign "Cell phone".  Then, if I create a manual transaction and enter the payee "ATT" then the category should automatically be entered as "Cell phone".  Right now, if I have that type of scenario, the category just gets defaulted to "uncategorized" even if I have a category rule defined.

Does that make sense?
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Thanks for confirming @Norm6257 -- I have updated this request accordingly. :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • I prefer to enter transactions manually as that is what I am used to doing and find it easier.  I am annoyed by not being able to save the expense category, or at least, have an expense category presented if I choose not to use the assigned category.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the mobile app does this, not the web app though

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RobWilk, I’ve found manual transactions by-and-large to not follow my Payee Rules.  They seem to be following some other criteria although I can’t figure out what that criteria actually is.  Sometimes they’ll take on one category, sometimes another.  So far, I haven’t noticed a difference between desktops and mobile.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Thank you for your interest in my post.

I suggest adding expenditure category recognition and auto-filling for transactions that are added manually without linking a bank account. Currently it needs to be selected manually for each transaction.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem I see - -

Is that with Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Target, BJ's, Costco, etc. (any kind of store with a variety of types of items in stock)

The category can vary, for example, "Groceries", "Clothing", "Pharmacy", "Entertainment" or "Books", "Electronics" and more

So I don't know if I would want it to autofill a category.

I realize I am not the only user here. Others may want that.

Rob Wilkens

• Thanks Rob. Yes your point is correct. I think tagging can help in some cases, but not all cases.

• Hi. This is not a new idea particularly on your site. But I feel I can present it in a different way. I would like to request that the Simplifi Development Team add the feature to create and maintain Manual Entry Payee and Category Rules. I believe this feature will be used my a large portion of your Users and be able to draw in more Users that are currently using other Apps and Software.

Manual Entry is a preferred method for myself, and I am sure many others, because I check and maintain my finances on a daily and per transaction basis. So when I purchase something I like my account to reflect the expense or income immediately. Unfortunately banking apps, even when synced immediately, do not always reflect same day transactions. There are also accounts and financial institutions that do not connect with your software as of today. To me, this is a strong reason to add this feature to both the mobile and web apps.

The way these features would work is that once a Rule is created, you will be able to select a Payee from a selection menu when you are entering the Payee name. For Example: I make two purchases from Amazon. One is a gift. The other is a new item for my household. So, assuming I had already created the corresponding Manual Entry Payee and Category Rules, when I am creating my new Manual Transaction and begin entering the Payees name, a drop down menu with the Payees that have Manual Entry Rules associated with them display.

Steps: 1.) I have already created or imported my Manual Payee and Category Rules. 2.) I select the "+" icon to add a new transaction. 3.) I enter the transaction amount and date. 4.) I begin entering the Payee name. Back to the example. I have typed in "Amaz". 5.) A drop down menu appears displaying the Manual Entry Rules I have created: "1. Amazon - Gifts, 2. Amazon - Household, 3. Amazon - Pets, ...". 6.) I select an already made Manual Entry Rule or I enter a the same Payee name, but select a different Category best organizing this transaction.

This is somewhat similar to the Downloaded Entry Payee Rules, except instead if automatically assigning a Payee name and/or Category, the User can select the Rule they want to used based on the Payee name they are entering.