Ability to Create Transaction Rules for Amounts and Accounts [edited] (7 Merged Vote)

Options

Comments

• fruitcake
    Options

+1 for rules by account

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Dizzybro, please be sure to add your vote here for the ability to create Transaction Rules to exclude/include transactions automatically:

-Coach Natalie

• alecfrankkc
    Options

I have a corporate card that I use for work and I would like the product to have a rule where if the account is my corporate card, the category is automatically "Work Expenses". I can't use payee as a proxy because I go to places with the same name for work and personal (e.g., Dunkin)

Other people agree? Has anyone found a workaround?

Thanks all!

• Cheyn
    Options

+1 This would be especially useful for tracking business expenses and income from specific accounts.

• CaroJa
    Options

Apple, Amazon, Chewy…many vendors where I have multiple recurring subscription charges and the only way to tell the difference is the amount.

• chris_tatertot
    Options

Adding a bump for this. In general there is a need for a more robust rules engine for transactions

• Laakness
    Laakness Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

This is such a needed feature! Simple rules like [removed] is what is missing.

• Emacken
    Emacken Member ✭✭
    Options

Adding a vote for this! On the first of the month I have two recurring transfers to accounts at a different bank, one for mortgage/sinking fund/etc and one fior utilities, and because my credit union has 'college' in the name every time they wind up automatically categorized as "Tuition". I prefer everything else about Quicken but this is tempting me to just stick with Fidelity

• dachtler
    dachtler Member
    Options

Rules per account would be great. More generally, having two or more defining criteria for a rule would be very helpful.

• Namssob
    Options

Just upvoted for this feature! HUGE plus if it gets implemented. I'm coming over from Quickbooks, believe it or not (just trying to "Simplify" my life a little), as well as a trial for Monarch, Copilot, and Empower. ANother use-case I didn't see mentioned is that through my job, I get paid various amounts for different purposes (normal paycheck, commissions, mileage reimbursement, cell phone allowance, etc.), but there's no way to separate these out at the moment. And some of the above is not even income (cell phone and mileage, for example, are just reimbursements at set amounts each month). Would LOVE a way to categorize these differently.

Also, in addition to the amount, sometimes the bank transactions have different keywords in them. So being able to parse the entire description from the bank transaction would be helpful.

• Thedude1980
    Thedude1980 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Plus one on this. A feature I really like about [removed] is the ability to do this.

• Ericv
    Options

Really need this rule as I do a lot of checks to individuals for recurring amounts. Even the free Mint/Credit Karma had this feature.

• freckle14
    Options

Some transactions have the same payee name across different accounts, and enabling different categorization by account name would be useful. For example, having the ability to create a rule to categorize "Interest Paid" from a "My Savings" account as "Interest Income" and another rule to categorize "Interest Paid" from a "My Checking" account as "Loan Interest".

It would also be helpful to add Amount as part of the rule, and to still allow some rules to span across all accounts / amounts / payees within an account.

Also, a hierarchy of rules could be useful in this case.

• cbouras
    Options

It would be pretty cool if we could define rules using more than Payee. For example, IF Payee X is paid with Credit Card Y, THEN categorize as Z

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Your idea sounds like this one, which is already under review by the product team. Vote there.

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

Options

+1 for this feature

• llamafilm
    Options

Banktivity has this feature and I rely on it heavily. For example I get numerous bills from Apple which all belong to different categories — Apple TV+, iCloud, and various third party apps from the app store.

• joshedenoble
    Options

This would be a huge improvement. Theoretically very simple, too. It's been "In Review" for over a year now? What's the deal?

• Thedude1980
    Thedude1980 Member ✭✭
    Options

+1 this really needs to be implemented. Monarch does this and it's way better.

• cmcgrew18
    cmcgrew18 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

If I use a check, all transactions come under the same Payee of “Check”. Rules only allow me to add a rule for payees or categories. If I were able to add an amount range I would be able to better refine the rule to categorize it properly.

Example:

Payee: Check, Amount: $25-75 -> Set payee to Foo and Cetagory to Home Service

Payee: Check, Amount: $500-750 -> set payee Bar and Category to Rent

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi, vote for the existing idea here. It is being reviewed by the product team.

Minter 2014-2023

• hayryn
    Options

It looks like requests to get better transactions rules has been going on for a long time and they are still very basic and mostly useless going into 2024. Quicken, please add several more options to the transactions rules! As they are they are almost useless and do more damage than good. We really need to be able to set rules based on dollar amount where we can set different results if between $x amount, >$x amount, or <$x amount, original statement name or new name with an exact or contains option, or if it's on a certain account. I guess basically everything the user above posted from Monarch would be awesome. These transaction rules are a necessity.

• Thedude1980
    Thedude1980 Member ✭✭
    Options

Agree 100%. Rules without specific amounts are almost useless. Defeats the purpose of creating rules in many instances.

• benjny
    Options

Yes, please!

• Raza
    Options

It would be great to have more flexibity when creating category rules. I would like to create rules for categorizing checks for specific amounts since all checks have similar description.

It would be also very useful to have rules to categorize transactions to a category only if it was from a specific account.

And finally, I’d like the ability to create rules to add specific tags automatically.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi. Your idea is already present here. Vote for it.

Minter 2014-2023

• royf
    royf Member
    Options

This is another example of Simplifi completely missing the mark. Allowing categorization by amount and/or account has been a basic function of many other financial aggregation utilities for many, many years. This specific feature request has also been open for several years. How has the ability to create rules by amount and/or account not been added yet?

This is a +1 for adding this incredibly basic function. If Simplifi wants to capitalize on the influx of users, it should at least provide a basic feature set.