Ability to Create Transaction Rules for Amounts and Accounts [edited] (7 Merged Vote)

Options
13»

Comments

• Thedude1980
    Thedude1980 Member ✭✭
    Options

Submitted for review in 2022. The lack of updates and transparency isn't promising.

• idkmanm
    idkmanm Member
    Options

oof. Any update on this?

• Coach Kristina
    Coach Kristina Moderator admin
    Options

Hello @idkmanm,

I recommend following this thread since this is where we'll post updates, when available.

Thank you!

-Coach Kristina

• Ari
    Ari Member
    Options

Same issue. Payees like Apple use the same name if you have multiple subscriptions. Quicken used to have a name and amount for transactions rules. Would like to see this here. What about adding a tag with the amount and allowing Simplify to match the tag to the amount?

• jfrylove
    jfrylove Member
    Options

Hi. Another request for basing rules on Account that they are in.

Use Case:

AirBnB merchant name comes in with additional information appended to the Merchant Name. I have rule to change Merchant AirBnBxxxxxxx to AirBnB.

AirBnB is then recategorized as "Rental Income". However I have 2 rental properties and need to keep the "Rental Incomes" separate by using Tags

AirBnB deposits for Unit #1 are deposited into Bank Acct #1 and deposits for Unit #2 go into Bank Acct #2.

I would like ability for Simplifi to Categorize and Tag, based on Merchant and Bank Account.

So if Merchant AirBnBxxxxxxx and Account = Bank #1, then Merchant renamed to AirBnB, Categorized as Rental Income and tagged "Unit #1"

• ssoko
    ssoko Member
    Options

I would like to be able to say that all "Amazon" charges on a particular card are a Business Expense category, but "Amazon" on a different card are Home Supplies.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23
    Options

Your idea already exists and it is in review. Vote for it below.

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• RBSimplify
    RBSimplify Member
    Options

Create Rule Limitations, allow to create rules based on the amount fields and NOT just payee to categorize

• Haigster
    Options

My bank sends a check to make a payment on a credit card. The 'payee' is listed as "check". It's always for the same amount, so I'd like to create a rule that changes it to the name of the credit card. So the 'rule' would be:

If the payee = check AND the amount is $xxx.xx then change payee to [some name]

• Mercs
    Mercs Member ✭✭
    Options

I agree, it would be incredibly helpful if there was 1 section of rules (instead of currently different sections for payee and category) where you could build your rule on a few lines with an If/Then type statement something like this:

1. One or more of these IFs
      1. Transaction Description like/equal to/contains "some text"
      2. AND/OR
      3. Transaction Amount equal/greater/less/between "some amount"
    2. One or more of these THENs
      1. Change Payee to "choose or create a payee"
      2. AND/OR
      3. Change Category to "choose or create a category"
      4. AND/OR
      5. Add a Tag of "choose or create one or more tags"

• user400
    Options

If this feature isn't added soon enough I feel like I'll need to leave. I left another platform for this one and heavily rely on this feature.

• blist
    blist Member
    Options

Have several payees that fit multiple categories - e.g. Erie Insurance for both home and auto; Sheetz for both fast food and gasoline. If I could include an amount ( either exact or >? ) I could get category to work without any editing.

THX

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    Options

Your request already exists and has 195 votes. Vote for it below.

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• hayryn
    Options

I'm confused as to how and why this feature request is still in review for so long. As of 2022 I think someone mentioned? I don't know the numbers exactly but it seems like a pretty highly requested and voted feature. And it's a feature that is pretty essential. Maybe some feedback and transparency as to why not would be helpful.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Iwould love to see this, but I understand that this would likely be quite difficult to implement. Would require significant database and code changes, would need thorough performance testing given that this is a cloud app. There are a lot priorities, including probably the most immediate which is getting all the connections to financial institutions supported, particularly now with a sudden influx of new users. We don't know how large the dev team is, but we do know that the more people who use this system, the larger the dev team will grow, and the faster requests can get implemented.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• raydar84
    Options

Also would be very helpful for automatically categorizing consistent checks of a consistent amount, such as rent.

• Travis H
    Travis H Member ✭✭
    Options

+1. More and more flexibility in rule definitions would be very helpful. For example adding logical operators such as AND / OR / NOT / (..) would be amazing.

• np25
    np25 Member
    Options

Also adding another vote for this feature. Fidelity Full View has implemented this effectively if looking for an example.

• Clayton Riehle
    Options

As many have commented, I write monthly checks for the same amount and category, etc. The transactions come in from the bank as 'Check ####'. Simplifi this by letting me create a renaming rule based on the amount of the transaction.

• bling
    bling Member
    Options

adding another vote for this feature request….the rules need to be improved a lot.

in its current form, there are 2 huge problems:

1. what's the order in which they run? is it alphabetical? if there's a rule for "bar" and "barnes", which runs first?
    2. rules are created for letters and numbers only. everything else is not supported. too bad if you want to match against a ".com" company, or a phone number, or a check #.

• rhegde
    rhegde Member
    Options

+1 for Ability to Create Transaction Rules for Amounts and Accounts. Can't wait enough for the feature to be available for use!

• Sunsoulintherain
    Options

here to chime in with same, having the ability to rule by amount will let me categorize different purchases from the same retailer. Please add this feature!

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Sunsoulintherain I am already able to do this

All of these purchases are from the same retailer but have several different categories. Q-Simplifi does a pretty good job of matching the actual transactions with my spending plan.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• IslandGirl
    Options

I have a number of PayPal transactions that repeat monthly for the same amount. But there is no way to create a rule to code them to their applicable account in Simplifi. So I am going to have to hand-code each transaction. Deep sigh. Wish I'd know this wasn't an option before I finished exiting Mint, or I would have chosen Monarch or another system. Simplifi, please add this rule capability!

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have the same use case with a cash transaction. I've got a recurring bill set up but it's around 10+ clicks to create the transaction and then link it to the reminder each month.

• djphoto59
    djphoto59 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

"Please change the default for payee changes to NOT apply to all similar transactions like category changes. Every time I make a singular payee change, I have to uncheck the default. I'd imagine more people make one off changes than changes intended to apply to all." I have inadvertently changed hundreds of transactions do to this feature and my memory at 65 is horrible so I have repeated this mistake many times over.

• ABen
    ABen Member
    Options

+1
    I need to be able to categorize and tag all transactions in one account automatically

• MM123
    MM123 Member
    Options

I believe that Simplifi would benefit from increased flexibility in categorizing rules, which would allow for greater automation. Currently, if I want to categorize all Geico transactions as insurance bills, I have to complete two steps. First, I must create a transaction rename rule to make all transactions appear EXACTLY the same and then select that transaction to create a category rule.

It would be useful to create rules based on the amount (or range of amounts) and the account combinations. For example, all Zelle transactions under $50 posted to a specific account should be categorized as Shared Groceries, while Zelle transactions of $4500 should be categorized as House Rent. Another example is I have no way to create a rule for all transactions in a certain account, say DC FSA account to be categorized as transfer or to be hidden from spend plan reports.

I believe that improving the automation of categorization would significantly enhance Simplifi's usefulness as a tool for tracking expenses and organizing finances.