Ability to Reopen Closed Accounts (edited)

SZR
SZR Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2021 in Feature Requests
Currently there is no way to mark a closed account as still open.

Can you add that?
38 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

Adding my vote and bumping this idea towards the top. Maybe this wouldn't be used very often, but I see it as more of a user rescue for those - inevitable: "Oh @#$, what did I just do times."

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

This would be a useful feature, and not just for correcting inadvertent closures as @Flopbot mentions. I can also see using this for "re-opening" credit cards that were previously closed or product changed to a different CC. Same for CDs that might expire or be moved into a new/different CD at the same bank. I recognize that technically these would be new accounts, but for simplicity sake, they could be treated as a re-opening of a previously closed account.

• Norm6257
    Norm6257 Member ✭✭✭

I just had one of those "Oh @#$, what did I just do?" moments. It would be nice to have some way of reopening a closed account.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

I just had my first experience in closing an account in Simplifi, thanks to an unscrupulous business that charged me for things I never ordered.

I had my credit card closed by the bank and a replacement issued. This morning I received the info necessary to add the new card to Simplifi, so I closed the original card and added the new one. Easy enough.

Now, the bank transferred all the old card's transactions to the new card, and then added a several thousand dollar transfer from old to new to make the balance come out right.

This was reflected in Simplifi as a transaction, meaning my spending plan for the month went right out the window. No problem, I thought. I'll just create a new transfer manually, link the transaction to that, ignore it from the spending plan, and all will be well with the world.

Well, I can't make new activity on a closed account, which makes sense. I also quickly discovered I couldn't re-open a closed account so I could fix this.

So I'm stuck with a ludicrously out of balance spending plan that will affect how the whole year looks.

I ended up excluding the transaction from the SP and Reports, and that makes things look better, but there still is no way for me to accurately reflect what happened in Simplifi.

EDIT: Now I've just noticed that all the transactions that were transferred from the old account are reflected as duplicates in the new account. Sigh.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭

I upvoted it too. I have some manual accounts I don't use much (certain times of the years) but don't want to close them since I cannot reopen them. Of course, having a setting to hide accounts would work also.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

• fredct
    fredct Member ✭✭

Not sure if this is new since the original posting but I found that if I chose to “Reset Connection” to the financial institution, it would start fresh and let you select the accounts again and they would go back to this regular state (e.g. not closed).

• Travis H
    Travis H Member ✭✭

It seems unnecessary to disallow account restoration. I want to be able to close an account and then revive it again if needed. I don't see why it is necessary to disallow that. There seem to be 3 logical 'removal' states that an account could have:
    1) Hidden (ability to hide any account -regardless of closed status).

2) Closed (data remains in simplifi, but acct isn't attempting new data fetch)

3) Deleted (all data removed)

I should be able to go back/forth from state #1 & #2 if I want.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23

For item 1, there is an existing feature request. Vote for it here:

It is better to start with more than one vote if possible, as more votes increase the chances of the idea being considered.

For item 2, the feature will be allowing a user to re-open an account. I voted for such feature here.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• jstipe66
    jstipe66 Member

Upvoted and bumping

• nex-54
    nex-54 Member

+1 for the feature

• +1 for the feature from me too

• swiggity
    swiggity Member

+1 as well

• quickdave
    quickdave Member
    edited March 27

This should be a no brainer. OF course we want to correct mistakes. Is there a work around - do I need to delete and then re-add the account? Has there been any new features since 2021 ?

I am also one of these…
    — Simplifi user since December 2023
    — Mint user since maybe 2014