Ability to Ignore part of a split transaction [edited] (3 Merged Votes)

Options

Comments

• TrevorLee
    Options

this would make Simplifi usable for my partner and I as we use a shared card for some expenses. As others have said, being able to split these in Mint was essential to accurately tracking spending categories. This is a long shot, but if you could say add a rule to always split all transactions from a single account, then have a category that is hidden from budgets, it would make life super easy.

• squillful
    Options

@Coach Natalie @Coach Blake is there a possibility of getting this request into review? It has more upvotes than several that are in review or in progress, it's a blocker for many Mint refugees, and it's also worth calling out that another highly upvoted request would solve this too, so there's the potential for "two birds one stone" -

• mebice831
    Options

Yes, this is needed truly, also when you separate transactions, it creates separate lines. It would be helpful to be able to change the dates of each separated line.

• fixer11401
    fixer11401 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I receive reimbursements for certain expenses from my employer in my normal paycheck. As a result, when I split the paycheck, I want to be able to hide the reimbursed item from spending/reports. Without this, my income and expenses are inflated, especially if there's a timing issue (expense in one month, reimbursement in another). In Mint, after splitting my paychecks, I could then choose to hide the individual split that was the reimbursement, whereas with Simplifi, it seems it's all or nothing. Please add this feature!

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I just started using Simplifi and come from Mint. Mint has the ability to have split transactions behave like separate transactions but be tagged as splits in the system. Sometimes I need to delete a transaction and re-do it as a separate transaction instead as one of the pieces is a transfer that I want to hide from reviews.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• alessandra
    Options

I use a joint credit card with my partner for a lot of shared expenses and this would be a really great feature to have. It basically means from a budgeting perspective, that it looks like I'm paying double for a lot of essential things like groceries. If there's a way to automatically split and ignore all the transactions for an entire account or credit card, that would be great, too.

• Mad5
    Options

When I travel for work I earn per diem to spend on meals but I never use all of it and like to treat the leftovers as extra income. With Mint I would track how much I spent on meals while traveling and split my per diem reimbursement into what I spent and what’s leftover and hide what I spent on meals from my budget so it wouldn’t count toward my dining out budget. I do not want to hide the leftover amount from my reports/spending plan tho because I’d like to see it in my monthly income. It would be great if Simplifi could treat split transactions as two separate transactions or if the reimbursable tag would automatically hide the transaction from reports/spending like in Mint.

• swasser
    Options

would like this as well

• wwhatthehell
    wwhatthehell Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Please have the feature to exclude a part of a split transaction. I sometimes pay for an entire bill with friends or family and I would like to have their share not counted as part of my spending.

• wwhatthehell
    Options

Would really love this feature. This is a dealbreaker for me which is unfortunate because I liked everything about the app so far

• N4KHQ
    N4KHQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Could you not just give it a special Category of income and filter it out

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Given it a special category and hiding part of the split is not possible.

This feature request will fill @wwhatthehell needs if implemented. The workaround is to enter two separate transactions manually instead of a split if one wants to exclude part of the split transaction.

Also, this feature request

[removed link to merged thread]

Minter 2014-2023

• samason
    Options

Would love to see this added! Loved this feature in mint.

• quinpin
    Options

This was one of the most useful features in Mint, would love to see it implemented here!

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The way I get around this type of situation is that when the other people pay me back, I use the same category on that transaction so that their portions of the bill are subtracted from my spending for that category. (It works out nicer when both transactions are the same month.)

• clos
    clos Member
    Options

coming from mint would love to see this feature as it has been the biggest limitation in transitioning over.

• cmgb8d
    Options

Seems like people are still requesting this after 3 years. Would like this to be added.

• JRollin
    Options

+1 we should be able to split a transaction and hid only a portion of it

• hunydewdrp
    Options

Another vote to add this feature. You may lose a lot of customers that came over from Mint by not having this feature.

• Stegiand
    Options

This is a deal breaker for me as well. I travel for work and I hide those expenses so they don’t count towards my budget. My employer refunds me that money within my main paycheck. So when I am paid, I need to split that paycheck and hide the refund part. Without this functionality I cannot keep using simplify and will need to ask for a refund. Are you planning to introduce it anytime soon?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

While we wait for this feature, a workaround is to split partially reimbursable transactions into two parts in the same category, with one part being positive reflecting the reimbursement.

Example $200 spent, $100 reimbursed for dining out, real life total $100

+$100 dining out

$200 dining out (no sign makes the transaction an expense)

This will ensure the net amount showing in the spending plan and reports is the amount actually spent.

Minter 2014-2023

• Rosie91
    Options

coming over from mint and this is an essential feature for me! Specifically, I often make a big shopping trip and need to ability to exclude some of my split transactions from my spending plan.

• Qtip
    Qtip Member
    Options

Please add this feature!

• rocktown12
    Options

Agree with everybody. This needs to be added to Simplifi. Please do it!

• Jamindena
    Options

As a recent mint user that came over to Simplifi, I must admit, the absence of this feature has been a HUGE disappointment. I will actively be looking for alternatives because I'm having to do way too many workarounds to get the otherwise helpful spending plan and reports to show accurate numbers

• punkorambo
    punkorambo Member
    Options

I have split transactions where one part of the split is a “transfer” that I don’t want shown in my spending plan and/or reports. However, I can’t choose to hide just the “transfer” portion of the split. It’s all or nothing. Using iOS version of Simplifi.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14
    Options

This request already exists. Starting with more votes improves the chances of consideration.

[removed link to merged thread]

Minter 2014-2023

• Ernie C
    Ernie C Member
    Options

@UrsulaA I've tried out your solution but it's automatically increasing the Amount value of the first split. Am I misunderstanding your solution?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The sum of your splits need to add up to the amount of the real transaction, or $130.66 in your screenshot. Did you spend $195.99 and get reimbursed 65.33? Those numbers add up to $130.66.

If you need a different net/total amount, change the transaction accordingly.

Minter 2014-2023