Avoid MFA every single time by "trusting the browser" or "remembering this device" (edited)

AlexB
AlexB Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 3 in Feature Requests

Simply. When I log in to Amex there is an option to 'trust' web browser meaning Amex will not ask to enter two-factor auth code for at least a few weeks when using the same device. Cookies are used for this. But Simplifi doesn't benefit from it and each time I log in I need to request and enter Amex code. With time more banks add two-factor and logging in to Simplify will be a pain. Why don't you act like a browses saving cookies and becoming 'trusted' device?

147 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• barjohn
    barjohn Member ✭✭
    That would be very helpful.
  • Kalkrish
    Kalkrish Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Currently, many institution connections require MFA every single time. The problem does NOT appear to be with the institution, because other aggregators do not have the same issue with the same accounts in the same institutions. One possibility that has been suggested is to use the “remember this device” feature that is available in most institution web interfaces. Please investigate this option.
  • +1 to this. I am having the same problem and would v much like to be able to tell my bank to trust connections coming from Simplifi, just as I can tell it to trust a specific browser on a specific computer.
  • Tim F
    Tim F Member
    +1. I'm removing Venmo from Simplifi because of this. If this were happening on my bank account then there is no way that I'd use Simplifi.
  • SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another suggestion would be for Simplifi to allow Direct Connect as well as their default connections.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• Norm6257
    Norm6257 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Some institutions have API connection functionality (e.g. Strip) where you can provide the keys to do a direct connection.  That might be an option.

It sure would be nice if the financial institutions allowed trusted app connections and get rid of the 2FA for trusted apps.

But at least see if there can be a trusted device option for 2FA.
  • SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Added my vote because of AmEx card.  I have disconnected it from Online Banking and put the card away. Also suggest people complain to the companies.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi (Safari & iOS) Since 2021
    Quicken Classic (MacOS) Since 2009
    Microsoft Money (Windows) 1991-2009
    Dollars & Cents (DOS) 1987-1991

• +1 for Venmo
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This does not happen on my accounts (it was for a while with Chase, but that stopped).  I think this may be a related problem as this request: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/3506/use-oauth-apis-everywhere-they-are-available-chase-bank-of-america-etc which also complained about frequent MFA.

Rob Wilkens

• Zsawaged
    Zsawaged Member

adding my vote to this

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have this problem with my Kohls credit card

• This only happens for me with Venmo, but it is very annoying.

• M1 Finance is having this problem as well in Simplifi. Temporary thing I did was to turn off MFA. It isn't ideal, but I'm hoping something will get fixed on Simplifi's end to address MFA in a user friendly way.

• +1 for me as well. It only happens with a couple of accounts, and it doesn't happen every time I log in to Simplifi, but maybe after a day or so it requires two-factor code again.

• CBlazick
    CBlazick Member
    edited December 2023

+1 for me. Venmo had my Mint saved as a Remembered Device. Dunno if it would help with my Carmax

• This is a no brainer. Come on, Simplifi!

• +1 venmo

• Moved from Mint to try Simplifi and this has been the most frustrating missing piece that I miss.

• Dave5150
    Dave5150 Member ✭✭

Virginia 529 is doing this as well.

• Simplifi, please resolve this!! Venmo allows you to remember devices, and that avoids the constant MFA. Venmo transactions are a necessary part of many people’s day to day spending.

• Zsawaged
    Zsawaged Member

Please resolve this for Venmo already!

• JerTech
    JerTech Member

This would be great for HSA Bank as well.

• K T
    K T Member

What was said has come to pass. Please make this a feature

• rbw
    rbw Member

Mint knew how to click "Remember this device" with Venmo in 2019. My Venmo account.venmo.com/settings/security page still shows the "device" it used:

Instead, I now have 9 emails from Venmo in the last week because Simplifi is spamming it with my username/password multiple times per day:

My retirement accounts at TIAA have the same issue. I guess I will disable Venmo and TIAA in Simplifi, like others in this thread, but Simplifi is broken for me in either case.

This issue has been open for over 2 years, and there is a simple fix, but Simplifi's only recommendation is to disable 2FA on affected accounts (example, example) 🙃. Very bad look!

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭

My american express account started doing this in the last week or so. It's pretty annoying!

• 100% +1

• EWJedi
    EWJedi Member

+1 agreed. Disabling MFA cannot seriously be a recommendation, right? C'mon, man….

It would be one thing if this was free to use but you know I am paying for this service, right?!

• Pastel6165
    Pastel6165 Member
    edited April 30

I have the same issue. [removed] connects to my bank account and stays connected without always asking for a 2FA code. So I know it is possible, Simplifi just needs to do the "Remember Me" option.

• Simplifi Team, this is a must! I use Venmo and want to stop the 2FA multiple times a day.

• MishaM
    MishaM Member

Bump so it's not forgotten! Venmo asks this practically everytime I open the app! Please work with Venmo to get Quicken added as a remembered device!