AMEX High Yield Savings accounts not connecting (edited)

Options

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@JLQ, thanks!

I went ahead and got a ticket created with your info and will let you know when we hear back. Can you please also submit your logs for us? 🙏

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

Please let me know when done!

-Coach Natalie

CTP-8131

• JLQ
    JLQ Member
    Options

Thank you. I just sent the log.

• davethehedgehog
    Options

I signed up for an Amex HYSA to find it's not detectable by Simplifi. This is now the third account that I have that doesn't work. PHH mortgage, Morgan Stanley Access Direct and now my Amex HYSA. The whole point in Simplifi is all my accounts in one place. If it doesn't work then it's pointless as I now have to visit 4 sites to get a full view of my accounts

Amex banking option doesn't work for me, but I don't use amex for banking, just credit card and HYSA. I try to add or reconnect an account, log in successfully to amex, but only have my credit cards available

I've sent the feedback, but I'm going to shop around to see if an alternate exists that does support these accounts better. Just feels hokey that I reported the lack of PHH and Morgan Stanley well over a year ago now, and the response was effectively that it's their fault, not yours. That doesn't help me and I suspect the outcome here will be the same.

• davethehedgehog
    davethehedgehog Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Doing a bit more digging into this [removed - accuracy]. The tell tale sign is the account addition tool. It looks the same for pretty much every site because it's piped directly from Plaid's API (I suspect). The issue isn't with Simplifi, it's with Plaid, they don't support PHH, MSAD or Amex HYSA's.

Reading into it more, seems that banks don't actually want Plaid to work as it breaks their business model of driving you to their website to cross sell you new products

So i guess the outcome is that these missing links are very unlikely to ever get fixed, the banks broke it, have no motivation to fix it and Plaid are powerless to make it work. So apps like Simplifi are stuck and as friendly and helpful they may be, and no matter how much they want to help, they likely can't :(

Sorry Simplifi, unless you can come back and tell me I'm totally wrong, I think I'll go back to the spreadsheet. I already have to maintain that for these other accounts anyway

It wouldn't be so bad if your manual accounts option allowed me to enter things like interest rates on mortgages and savings, so I could at least just enter transactions and have it automatically calculate based on the interest rates. I have that on a local spreadsheet, so it's definitely possible if an idiot like me can make it work

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@davethehedgehog If you're going with a spreadsheet, which may work fine anyway, have you considered tracking them as manual accounts in Simplifi? Not every account needs to be connected here.

So far as I know, Quicken Simplifi does not -yet- use Plaid (but they claimed to be working on that). I suspect if you're right the issues may be similar. To be clear, I don't represent Quicken in any way, and you may get a better answer.

Rob Wilkens

• davethehedgehog
    davethehedgehog Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

@RobWilk I would love to track them as manual. The problem is the manual account type doesn't seem to allow you to enter interest rates and have it automatically calculate or model future balances. So I can enter my balance, then a transaction, but that transaction is static whereas my principle changes monthly obviously, so it's not realistic and a pain to maintain. My spreadsheet takes in interest rate and calculates everything from that.

If the manual account option was a little more capable, and it allowed the above that would be awesome. It would be a fix for sure, and I would be VERY happy to use it, as it would allow me to work in one place again, but right now it's limited without any calculation logic behind it.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rob Wilkens

• lwyman
    lwyman Member
    Options

I have tried using all of the American Express options on Simplifi, and none work. The "American Express - Banking" option recognizes me and sends me a code, but after I enter it, Simplifi gives me a FDP-102 error and says it can't connect at this time. I've tried off hours and on different days with no luck. I know Amex links with other apps and can be accessed on-line with my credentials, so I'm confused why it won't connect with Simplifi.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@lwyman, American Express blocks us on Mondays, so you won't be able to connect today. Please give this another try tomorrow using the "American Express - Banking" option and let us know how it goes.

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello All,

Can we have everyone give the "American Express Bank FSB" option another try for the High Yield Savings accounts, please?

Let us know how it goes! 🤞

-Coach Natalie

• pieroggi
    Options

HYSAs worked for me using the FSB option and my old credentials for the American Express Personal Savings site.

• vollmas
    vollmas Member ✭✭
    Options

I was also able to get my HYSA's connected using the FSB option and my old credentials from the Amex Personal Savings site. However, this is merely a temporary solution, as Amex explicitly moved all of it's users off of that site, and who knows how much longer it will be accessible/available. Quicken team, you have a lot of Mint converts that are relying on you, and when a free service has more consistent connection options than a paid one, things get frustrating really fast. We appreciate your efforts to ensure that ALL of our accounts connect successfully and consistently to this platform.

• tylermcgreevy
    Options

Same issues, opened an Amex HYSA only to find it is unable to connect to Simplifi. Have tried numerous different days, times, methods, support team seems satisfied with just copy-pasting the same "solutions" of waiting until the next day or using FSB or Banking to connect the account. Hoping this is fixed soon.

• Coach Natalie
    edited December 2023
    Options

@tylercdavis, it is my understanding that High Yield Savings Accounts with American Express must be added using the "American Express Bank FSB" option (this is outlined in our support article here). If this doesn't work, you'll want to try "American Express - Banking". If these don't work for you, please provide more details as to what specifically occurs and why it doesn't work so we can take a closer look.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• JLQ
    JLQ Member
    Options

Quick update: it finally worked yesterday without any change on Amex side.

I used Amex Banking and my usual login and this time the account was visible.

Only problem: the 2FA key is requested each time I open Simplifi or refresh the accounts

• lwyman
    lwyman Member
    Options

Still can't connect to American Express Banking - and I have tried the FSB option and that doesn't even recognize me. The American Express Banking option at least knows it's me, since it sends an SMS code to my phone, but when I enter the code, it gives me the 102 error. I've tried this on different days and different times of the day (and night). So I'm just assuming that if enough people have this problem, Amex and Simplifi will work a little harder to correct the problem.

• lwyman
    lwyman Member
    Options

Well this seems pretty definitive -

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@lwyman, I'd suggest trying the "American Express - Banking" option outside of peak hours or over the weekend. It does seem, though, that most users have been able to connect their HYS accounts using the "American Express Bank FSB" option. What happens when you use this option?

It is possible that American Express doesn't technically offer support for these types of accounts (I think I may have heard something about this), however, from our end, if you can't add an account, we will certainly look further into it for you. Additionally, I know we are still working on the connection with American Express; for example, Checking accounts will soon be available on the OAuth API connection from what I've heard (currently, only Credit Cards are available on the API).

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6997452-new-and-improved-way-to-connect-to-your-financial-institution-oauth-api

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• GigaFusion
    Options

my high yield savings account same issue with Amex - nervous to even open a checking account with them if it doesn’t even detect here.

I know issue is on AMEX end from look of it

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@GigaFusion, have you tried all of the American Express options in Quicken Simplifi — "American Express Bank FSB", "American Express - Banking", and "American Express"?

Please let us know!

-Coach Natalie

• GigaFusion
    Options

I have :/ My issue I’m having is I am actually looking to switch to a different bank now because of this…I actually am trying to find the “best” bank that works with Simplifi because I want it all to work. I think I am going with Capital One (looking for HYSA) but annoyed they don’t allow pending transactions.

• GigaFusion
    Options

so I’ve been able to get my HYSA, credit card, and checking to work via AMEX. However, nearly every day I have to reauthenticate it via AMEX and have a code sent to my email twice. Wish this wasn’t the case and could trust the connection for an amount of time - even if weekly. Daily is overkill. Especially when it is view only via API

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@GigaFusion, to clarify, the only American Express account types that are currently supported for the OAuth API are credit card accounts, and you must use the option listed as "American Express" in Quicken Simplifi.

It is my understanding that checking accounts with American Express will be migrated to the API next, but I'm not sure when this is expected to happen, nor am I sure if the other American Express options listed in Quicken Simplifi will also be migrated to the API, or how this will work. For now, you're supposed to use the "American Express - Banking" or "American Express Bank FSB" options for non-credit card accounts as outlined in our support article here: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6997452-new-and-improved-way-to-connect-to-your-financial-institution-oauth-api#h_d548c7460c

The MFA prompts are most likely coming from a non-API American Express connection, and we won't be able to do anything further about them, or at least don't expect to see improvement with this, until the API migration has occurred.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4704254-why-do-i-need-to-re-authenticate-my-bank-with-every-refresh

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• GigaFusion
    Options

Yes that makes sense. To clarify though, I WAS able to select my checking via the OAuth API - just not savings. That one I had to use for the bank one. Regardless, I’m actually closing those accounts with AMEX - trying to get accounts sorted that work more cleaner with apps like Simplifi.

• bbjorn
    bbjorn Member
    Options

Found this thread searching through the help pages because I also struggled to get my Amex HYSA added to Simplifi when I joined recently. I think I managed to connect it using American Express - FSB or Banking… forget which one but it definitely was not the main "American Express" option that linked my credit cards to Simplify.

My only issue is being asked for the 2FA code from Amex every single day I log on here. If I am understanding the above correctly, that is not something that can be fixed right now? Is this related to how I added the HYSA to Simplifi? It's extra annoying because if I open Simplify on my PC I am asked for the 2FA code from Amex, but if on the same day I open Simplifi on my phone or laptop, it will also ask me for the code on each of those platforms even if I already entered it on a different device that day. In other words, I may have to enter a 2FA code three separate times on a given day if I open Simplifi on all of my devices.

Honestly, it's my only gripe with this application (besides Transamerica accounts not linking, which doesn't seem to be Quicken's fault).

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@bbjorn, thanks for the inquiry!

That's right that we have no control over the MFA requests: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4704254-why-do-i-need-to-re-authenticate-my-bank-with-every-refresh

For American Express, though, hopefully this gets better as we migrate Checking and other account types to the OAuth API, just like the Credit Card accounts are already on. 🤞

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• azcarefres
    azcarefres Member
    edited January 8
    Options

I have both an AMEX bonvoy credit card and high yield savings.

I tried these:

American Express : I only get credit card not high yield savings

American Express Bank FSB : in a loop asking for me to re-enter credentials

American Express - Banking : in a loop asking for me to re-enter credentials

• SGranada
    SGranada Member
    Options

Before I switch to Simplifi from Mint I also had this problem. What I did was create a log in in the Amercian Express banking website and used that log in for the savings account. Brought that same workaround here and it's working.

• Coach Natalie
    edited January 9
    Options

@azcarefres, thanks for reaching out!

As outlined in this existing topic, it seems that High Yield Savings Accounts with American Express need to be connected using the "American Express Bank FSB" option in Quicken Simplifi. When viewing your connection attempts from our end, I see a 103 error for this bank option, which indicates invalid credentials. You can troubleshoot this error by following these steps:

1. Verify the bank being selected -- There may be several different versions of the same bank in the Add Account bank list, so be sure you're selecting the correct one. If you're not sure, compare the URLs shown for each bank.
    2. Verify your login information – Type your password/PIN into a text application to ensure you don’t have any typographical errors. Then, copy and paste your login information into Quicken Simplifi to ensure accuracy.
    3. Verify your login at the bank’s website – Try to sign in to your bank’s website using the same login credentials to ensure you've not locked yourself out of the account and that the credentials are still valid.
    4. Check for an app-specific password – Some banks require users to use a specific app password when connecting to a third party. Check with your bank to see if you need to use an app-specific password.
    5. Update your credentials – Try temporarily updating your password at your bank's website and then try again to connect to Quicken Simplifi. We recommend NOT using the following special characters: & < > / \.

Please also take a look at @SGranada's previous comment (click here) to see if that helps at all.

Let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• whobbs
    Options

So I have been having the same errors with my AMEX HYSA but I just resolved it. When using the "American Express Bank FSB" option in Quicken Simplifi I was getting a 103 error which I just found out was an incorrect password. I used the old password for AMEX HYSA before they merged the AMEX CC with HYSA and it linked!!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.