Customizable Columns in the Spending Plan (edited)

Options
EL1234
EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Feature Requests

I'm not sure if this is a bug but I would like to see the Notes and Reviewed columns when I click on a Spending Plan (or a category of Other Spending) to view its transactions.

I can click the gear icon to select the fields I want, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

My settings:

The columns I see:

Thanks!

13 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That gear icon is going away soon, @Coach Natalie recently announced. I would vote for the ability to add the notes field, but not necessarily the 'reviewed' one.

Rob Wilkens

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd really like to be able to customize those columns, it would make looking through the spending plan less frustrating if I can see which transactions are reviewed and which may be categorized incorrectly and should be looked at.

Notes would be very helpful also! But to me Reviewed is more important. I see that different people could prefer different columns - that's why they should be customizable!

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Alternately, thought not as preferable, if you don't want to add that ability to spending plan, maybe there could be a button to "view and edit these transactions" which would take you straight to the transactions list, or a report, filtered to show the same transactions I was looking at in the spending plan (ie: by date and category/ies).

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just ran into this again. When looking at a category in the spending plan (either planned or other spending), I want to see which transactions were reviewed so I can see if I indeed spent that much in that category or if something needs to be moved to another category.

It would also be an easy way to review transactions for this month one category at a time. The way I do it currently is very cumbersome - I go to Transactions, filter by Not Reviewed, and then need to filter one category at a time from the full list of categories. If I could do it one by one by clicking on the spending category bubbles it would be fewer steps since I'd only need to choose the categories that actually have transactions for this month.

Viewing the full transaction list (filtered by Not Reviewed) and sorting by category won't work since then it shows all transactions from all time, and I just want to view one month's worth a time but we cannot filter the Transactions list by date (another idea I'd really like).

• JLQ
    JLQ Member
    Options

Posting here as suggested by a help coach.

In the Transaction view, it is possible to customize which column is visible. This is not possible however in the Spending Plan page when displaying the transactions for "other spending".

Having the capability to display additional columns here (e.g. "notes") would be very helpful.

I hope it can be implemented

PS: initially posted in the wrong category

• Jeff D.
    Jeff D. Member
    Options

Any time transactions are listed, display the notes attribute for the transaction. That option is available under the Transaction page, but not under other spending under Spending Plan.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29
    Options

Interesting decision by the product team to remove customizable columns for transactions on the spending plan. Please add this feature back.

Comment below explaining the product team's decision. This request has my vote and it is one of my bookmarks.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UrsulaA I know you weren't here at the time, but to give a brief 'what you missed' — There never were customizable columns in anything other than the account register. However, there was an option to set custom columns, which never worked. They took the non-functioning option away rather than make it work.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minter 2014-2023

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's difficult to believe only seven people (myself already included) want customizable columns here… I guess that hiding the option makes it less obvious that it 'should' be there. When it was there, a lot more users seemed to want it to work right.

Rob Wilkens

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agreed, I am hoping to get more votes by commenting and digging it out of obscurity. 😊

Minter 2014-2023

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree… I scrolled up to make sure that I had already voted, only to discover that I posted this in the first place :)

Definitely something I want! I'm pretty sure I submitted a bug report at some point because adding the Reviewed column didn't actually work.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I also noticed that the display density setting from the transaction list carried over to the transaction lists below the spending plan, reports, and watchlists. If the developers can find a way to make all the customization from the transaction lists made by the user carry over the spending plan (this request), watchlists, and reports, I will be happy with that arrangement. Then, I know I only need to customize the transaction list to have a consistent view across the app.

Minter 2014-2023

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That would work for me too.

Rob Wilkens

• Abi Pop
    Abi Pop Member
    Options

Similar to the transaction grid, ability to customize columns in Spending Plan grid (e.g., to add/view the notes column).

Transaction grid:

Spending plan:

• KimS
    KimS Member
    Options

Display transaction notes in the "Other Spending" section of the Spending Plan