Update Category: Resulting child categories exceeds maximum allowable depth

Options
IndyMx5
IndyMx5 Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Report a Bug

I wasn't able to find anything in the forums regarding this error.

The scenario is simple:

1. I can create categories of subcategories on the transactions screens as I review and categorize bills.
    1. Utilities —> Phone —> AT&T
    2. Utilities —> Phone —> T-Mobile
  2. I found a category I wanted to correct, such as Phne —> Phone. So, I went into settings to update the category.

Attempting to update the category produced the error, "Resulting child categories exceeds maximum allowable depth."

Adding a new category within the same screen results in, "Resulting category exceeds maximum allowable depth of 2."

In short, I'm not sure I understand how I can perform this function via the transactions screen, yet going into the settings results in errors.

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe the maximum depth is 2 — meaning a main category and a subcategory - a subcategory of a subcategory, I believe, is not supported (It's news to me if that's not true).

Rob Wilkens

• IndyMx5
    IndyMx5 Member ✭✭
    Options

That message was clear on the category screen; however, the transaction screen allows you to exceed that depth without any notification.

Category Screen Max Depth = 2

Transactions Category Max Depth = 3+

Uh… 🤷‍♂️

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wow, you are correct - and I just learned something new. I personally think the 'intended design' is to only support 2 levels deep (unless work had begun to go deeper), but since Simplifi allowed deeper categories to be created, then without losing data they might have to support "3+" depth. This is my opinion only, I do not represent Simplifi, @Coach Natalie may have a better answer.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @IndyMx5,

Thanks for making us aware of this behavior!

As far as I know, only one Subcategory level is allowed in Simplifi. Our support article here states:

There isn't currently a limit to the number of Categories or Subcategories that can be created. However, there is a limit to the Category levels, as Simplifi only supports two levels: the main Category and a Subcategory.

Since I haven't seen anything in the Release Notes to indicate the design has changed, and since the additional Subcategory levels can only be created from a transaction and not from Settings, and not to mention the error that's received when attempting to edit the additional Subcategory level, I strongly assume this is a bug and have reported it accordingly. I'll let you both know when I hear back.

In the meantime, I'd suggest not creating additional Subcategory levels since this is not something that's actually supported. I don't want you to get too deep into Subcategory levels, and then not be able to keep them. It looks like any that have been created can be deleted (just not edited). 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello again @IndyMx5 (& @RobWilk),

A fix for this issue is expected with the 3.88.0 Web Release. Our Product Team did also state that if you have additional nested Categories past a level 1 Subcategory, you'll want to go in and delete them and create your Categories properly as outlined in my previous comment.

Thanks again for bringing this issue to the Community!

-Coach Natalie

• IndyMx5
    IndyMx5 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Coach Natalie

Thank you for letting me know. Having written a lot of software in my time, there was never a positive outcome when we fixed a bug that a customer used as a feature. It happens for sure.

I am so glad that I posted this. I would have been mortified to lose categories due to unknowingly using an unintended "feature." 😂😱

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@IndyMx5, absolutely! I'm very glad you posted too. 😊

Also, please be sure to add your vote and feedback here:

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@IndyMx5 & @RobWilk, this should now be fixed! 🥳

If you'd like to see the ability to create additional levels of Subcategories in Quicken Simplifi, please be sure to add your vote here:

-Coach Natalie

• BillM
    BillM Member
    Options

For me the limit of 1 sub-category under a main category is a bit restrictive. I limit most of mine to 2 in quicken and not complicated at all as some might suggest.

1. Category
      1. Sub-Category
        1. xxxxxxx
      2. Sub-Category
        1. xxxxxxx

For example….

1. Utilities
      1. City Utilities
        1. Water
        2. Sewer
        3. Environmental
      2. Electric
      3. Gas
      4. Mobile Phone
        1. Data & Service
        2. Device & Hardware
      5. Sanitation
        1. Trash
        2. Yardwaste
        3. Fuel & Material Surcharge
      6. ETC…..

• neon45
    neon45 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

It's more than a "bit" restrictive, it's absurd. Their 2 software folks in New Delhi must be overworked. If Mint could do it as a free service Simplifi should be on it as a paid service.

If you have 3 cars, for instance, you can't track fuel, service and parts for them. 🙄

This discussion has been closed.